Linda's Sourdough Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Har, Kevin. You are right. There is an upside to everything.

Disco
Clearly you went to a co-ed high school.
As dr the bread, I need to get back into it myself. In lieu of a baguette pan perhaps the towel trick might work. I don't know the name for the procedure, but you flour a cotton or linen kitchen towel and fold pleats into it, basically making little hammocks for the baguettes to sit in. It's helped me in forming baguettes with a very high hydration dough. Not only does it hold the loaves in place, but the towel absorbs surface moisture allowing a "skin" to form that will hold its shape. Then you spray water on it before baking to get the lighter crust.

Disco, have you ever tried using wicker baskets/bannetons, and bake on a stone in the oven?
Yes to the stone, no to the baskets. I use a stone or a heavy dutch oven to make some of my sourdough loaves. 

Disco

I use the baskets when I do long loaves, or a boule. Gives good support to get height, then I use a peel to transfer from basket to stone. A couple blasts of steam(throw a 1/4 cup hot water onto oven floor) that usually gives a good oven spring. Another option I use fairly regularly when doing long loaves or baguette/French loaves is a couche. It's a tad trickier, but hey, a little trouble sometimes is worth it!

I use the baskets when I do long loaves, or a boule. Gives good support to get height, then I use a peel to transfer from basket to stone. A couple blasts of steam(throw a 1/4 cup hot water onto oven floor) that usually gives a good oven spring. Another option I use fairly regularly when doing long loaves or baguette/French loaves is a couche. It's a tad trickier, but hey, a little trouble sometimes is worth it!
Thanks. I have a few loaves I make I like. I do my sour sourdough loaf in a boule shape but use a covered Dutch oven for the beginning. The lid stays on for the beginning and holds some moisture in. I have also made French Loaves in an unglazed clay pot. A nice crust with a very nice interior. 

So many loaves, so little time.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky