Let's try this again...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

macaddicted

Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
So new here. Decided to switch over from a CharGriller with an offset smoker to a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (MES). I like smoking, but didn't like the monitoring that the charcoal setup required. So I bought a Gen 1 MES 40". Yet somehow I can't get past the feeling I'm going to end up with Weber smoker eventually. Perhaps it's the challenge...

As to me, I live in and run a uniform business in Santa Clarita, CA (just north of LA, next to Six Flags Magic Mountain). I would call myself at best intermediate in experience, though overall moderately advanced at cooking in general. My passions are reading, mostly current events and theology, and fountain pens. A neo-luddite am I.

Oh, and the avatar is Karl Rahner, one of the more influential Roman Catholic theologians of the mid-Twentieth century.

Welcome to SMF. Congrats on the MES.

Dont worry the feeling of thinking you will end up with another smoker will never end. Atleast the WSM is a great unit

You are going to really like that MES40. I have a first generation MES30 and my only complaint is that its not a 40. One of the real Pit Masters here, Bearcarver uses and MES40 and turns out most excellent smokes. Search his name, and click on any of his links located in his profile. That's some mighty tastee Q-view all on a MES40.

Great folks and great info here, Guru's are warehouses of knowledge. You can tell them by the badge they wear below their name, Moderator or OTBS, they may not know all the answers but they know all the phone numbers to find out. If they are busy everyone here likes talking about smoke only a little less than smoking it. We all post photos of our successes and failures so other can learn and maybe even become inspired with what you've done or some different trait that you bring with you.

its loads of fun. I always suggest you find a notebook to dedicate to your smokes, like a snipers killbook. That way what you do this time you'll remember what you did, why and the results so you'll know what you'd like to change the next time. here's some forms to help you decide the things you'd like to remember.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/attachments/3

Everything is here, you just need know the right words to pull it up.

Well I have rambled own enough..... I hope you decide that your smoker is perfect for your needs. you'll always want/need an upgrade and when ya don't, its time to pass 'em down to the next generation to enjoy.

Nice to meet you, I hope you have fun and remember to enjoy the smoke.
smilie_flagge13.gif

Last edited:
[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   ......... 
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome to the forums!  You've found the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

Welcome mac. Great folks and great info here. I had the mes 40 at one time and loved it. You'll be smoking like a pro in no time.

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky