lets talk griddles !!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I feel like the guy with a Miata at the Porsche club meeting...
I was just going to ask the missus for a 20" cast iron griddle to use on my gas grill or Weber kettle as a Christmas present this year. Am I missing the boat? Do the dedicated (large) griddles make sense if you're only cooking for 2 or an occasional 4?
I must admit the lip at the back looks like a great idea for spatula-ing. But otherwise these look like you're cooking for a church gathering or Scout troop?
wellllll there is only the two of us here , BUT i want to be able to cook for more IF i decide i want to , other wise i will only light 1 or 2 burners ...i am a firm believer in : i had rather have it and not need it than need it and not having it
the main idea is NOT to mess up HER kitchen ...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: MJB05615
I only got the 36" as the local wholesale club had them for $220 last year including the soft cover. I could have gotten the 28 pro above for $278, that flip down lid would be nice though.

the reason that i decide to buy one is that i do a LOT of frying and the wife is always complaining about the grease splatter on her stove, range vent and such , so my thinking is buy a griddle , cook outside ....problem solved !!!
i'm sure cleaning the griddle will be easier than cleaning the whole kitchen !!!
by the way , how long does it take to get to cooking temp from a cold start ?
My 36" BlackStone gets hot enough to cook within 5 minutes from a cold start. I have never had the flame up over half way it gets so hot.

I've had the 28" Blackstone since September, and it's great. Gets very hot within 5-6 minutes. Ignitor is the best I've ever seen. My only regret is not getting the hard lid. Now getting one. From all I've read, they're all similar, but the Blackstone cook top seems to be better material.

I do like Jake's griddle ( wish I could have found one), but we make do with the 22" for the 2 of us.
20200630_112525.jpg

wellllll there is only the two of us here , BUT i want to be able to cook for more IF i decide i want to...
TNJake's Blackstone is awfully nice looking and without the side shelves I suppose it could fit it on my patio...somehow...not sure the missus would agree. Then I could use that 20" cast iron griddle I asked for as a bacon press to keep the bacon flat! Fry it up 3# at a time!

Winterrider: that IS a VERY nice looking cart !!!

these new materials that kitchens are build from nowadays must not be very good , cause to hear my wife tell it , one little speck of grease might destroy the entire new kitchen we built two years ago . one would think with all that money we spent building it she would cut me a little slack !!!!

I have 2 Lodge Stove Top CI Griddles. One, the flat side, Griddle is reserved for Breakfast, items and is non-stick from frequent use.
The second is used Grill side up for meats. I'm seeing so much Outdoor Griddle cooking from you guys, but I'm just not sure a Blackstone would get used enough to warrant having. My other concern...Will they go low enough for Eggs and French Toast or Pancakes? And get screaming hot to sear Steaks and Smash Burgers? Are hot and cooler Zones easily maintained?
NOW A FRYER, that's another story! I've been looking at the R&V Works Cajun Fryer, below. Not cheap but well built and according to reviews, with typical house hold use of a couple times a week, 4 gallons of oil with occasional top up, lasts 1 full Year! These guys clean it out and replace the oil annually. THAT'S my kind of Maintenance Routine!...JJ

I cook eggs and pancakes on mine often. Temps are easily adjusted. As far as searing.......I haven't hit it with the heat gun but high is blazing hot. It's a great item to have in the arsenal

I have a Camp Chef 36 & love it, but it’s an older model & the newer BS & PB both look real good. The one thing I like about the CS is the grill itself is very heavy gauge steel, and once seasoned it cleans up very easily.
Al

I have the same Blackstone as Jake. It will sear pretty hot on high. I normally run it on low for omelettes, pancakes, etc

I wasn't sure how much we would use it, but it gets used almost every day.

1606832900637.jpeg

Reactions: TNJAKE and MJB05615
last night i decided to cook a single hamburger on the stove , i cooked low it and slow and still it took me longer to clean the kitchen than it did to cook the burger , i was thinking the whole time that it would be worth it to stand in the snow outside and cook it on a griddle than have to clean up the grease splatter in the kitchen ........so yea i will be buying one very soon ( depending on how expensive Christmas is )

I've cooked on several Blackstone griddles and they are truly a quality product. When I upgraded my outdoor stove I wanted the choice to multi-task. I use my stove for pressure canning throughout the year. I use a camp style Dutch oven for deep frying, or making stew or chili, and use some vintage griddles and cast iron skillets. So I opted for a traditional stove with a modular flat-top griddle that I can remove when needed.
Which griddle did you pick and how does it function for cooking with a single burner?
I have the original Outdoor Cookers (now Camp Chef) 2 burner outdoor stove and it came with a griddle. I have not gotten a good season nor a good cook off that griddle.

last night i decided to cook a single hamburger on the stove , i cooked low it and slow and still it took me longer to clean the kitchen than it did to cook the burger , i was thinking the whole time that it would be worth it to stand in the snow outside and cook it on a griddle than have to clean up the grease splatter in the kitchen ........so yea i will be buying one very soon ( depending on how expensive Christmas is )
Have you checked out splatter screens to cover your skillet?
Low and slow is not what you want for the Maillard flavor from a piece of meat. 82230625b1b4f51f24779234f924f8ef.jpg

yea i have tried those and you still have to remove it in order to flip the meat ...they do help some though !!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky