Let talk lump

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lemans

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2013
Jackson New Jersey
So. I was in sams last week and they
Had some no name lump on sale for
20$ for a 35lb bag. What the hell!!!
Well you know the old saying “you get what you pay for?” No rock or anything. But inconsistent burn. My Vision that is usually pretty consistent was all over the place today.. I usually use Stubbs or Royal Oak and the temps stay pretty good. But this stuff was terrible. Anyone ever experience this???

I've used Royal Oak, B&B, and Western lump in my Vision and saw no noticeable difference in their performances.

5C27C31C-32FC-4AEF-AAA7-DBE86A14EFB7.jpeg
AD1BD96A-F100-47FD-9E5F-9098FB3B9D61.jpeg
IMO B&B Lump is the BEST out there. Doesn’t pop or throw sparks like others do, Burns hot, long, and very little ash.

I find lump to be inconsistent among all brands I have tried. I do use temp control devices so it is no bother temp wise. I do use it occasionally, when there is a good buy on it. Good for hot and fast stuff like chicken or for grilling.

But I have seen pieces of lump not be completely carbonized, which is essentially like adding a chunk of wood to your coal basket, adding unaccounted for smoke. I salso got this from a bag of B&B:
upload_2019-2-9_17-9-54.jpeg

I find lump to be inconsistent among all brands I have tried. I do use temp control devices so it is no bother temp wise. I do use it occasionally, when there is a good buy on it. Good for hot and fast stuff like chicken or for grilling.

But I have seen pieces of lump not be completely carbonized, which is essentially like adding a chunk of wood to your coal basket, adding unaccounted for smoke. I salso got this from a bag of B&B:
View attachment 387610
Burning railroad creosote ties? What's up with the railroad spike?

If I want a really hot fire, like for pizza or wings, then I use lump, & I prefer RO.
But to start a coal bed in my offset or an overnight smoke in my WSM, I prefer briquettes.
And RO is my choice for briquettes.
Al

Reactions: JC in GB

View attachment 387610
Interesting, I have worked with used railroad ties for landscaping. The ties we salvaged were made from oak. The preservative(creosote) only penetrates an inch or so, so theoretically once the preservative was cut off one could make chunks out of the remaining railroad tie.

Great replies here. Based on what I have seen, I need to 1) find out if I can get B & B lump in my area. 2) Give briquettes another try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky