Less water with plastic casings?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hightine

Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
Central pa
Hi folks

I'm doing pepperoni sticks with 8 lb venison and 2 lb pork butt. I'm using plastic casings from my butcher. The recipe is from a packet and calls for two cups of water. In the packet are edible collagen casings. I'm wondering if I should use less water because the plastic casings will not let moisture escape?

Any thoughts? I'm new at this so hopefully someone can assist?

Thank you!
Jon from PA

Yes they are some type of plastic. Clear with a black stripe. We were going to heat them with the smoker. No smoke will get thru however. I will try to upload a pic.

Those are non edible casings. You do not want to cut the water because you need it wet so that it gets sticky and forms properly.

Those are non edible cellulose casings. Normally for skinless sausage, franks. Some cellulose you can but heat and smoke to, some you cant.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky