LEM Motorized 10 lb. Stuffer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Wondering if anyone here has the LEM 10 lb. motorized stuffer. I currently have the LEM 5 lb. manual stuffer, and am thinking about upgrading to a motorized unit.

I generally do pretty small batches, mostly between 5 - 10 lb. That's why I got the 5 lb. stuffer in the first place, and also I had never made sausage before and I wasn't even sure I would enjoy it, so I didn't want to get something huge/expensive right out of the gate. Well, it's been a little less than a year now and I love it, and have been making sausage more and more and am getting pretty decent at it. I don't really foresee myself doing batches bigger than 10 lb.'s for a few reasons though. For one, The 5 lb. stuffer has honestly been the perfect size for me and in the motorized units the 10 lb. is the smallest one they make. I'm using brisket/rib/ pork butt trim in order to minimize waste, that's the entire reason for getting in to sausage making in the first place and it's pretty rare for me to buy meat specifically to make sausage (I do cook a lot of brisket/ribs/pork butt though). Also, I only have so much space in my freezer to store the vac sealed sausage, and last I believe practice makes perfect and it's all about repetition, and the bigger the batches I make, the less often I can make more. I do sell BBQ including my sausage, to a very small but growing list of customers as a side hustle which helps to cycle through the excess, but still not enough to justify doing huge batches of sausage at one time.

The primary issue I have, and the reason I am thinking about upgrading is that for me, sausage making is a one man process as I don't have anyone to help. My girl friend doesn't want anything to do with it and won't even eat any of it because she doesn't eat pork and even an all beef sausage is in a hog casing so to her that's no bueno. Her loss, more for me lol (and to sell).

So... being a one person process the hand crank stuffer has become annoying because I constantly have to stop in order to coil up the cased sausage. If I don't, it starts bending in awkward directions and kind of causes breaks in the meat inside the casing, which end up resulting in air pockets (or at least that is what it seems like). On the other hand I feel like the constant starting and stopping also causes small air pockets, so I get them either way. I also feel like the constant starting and stopping causes slight variations in the amount of pressure on the horn, which results in some portions of my ropes being thicker than others, so not a consistent size from end to end.

A motorized stuffer would allow me to work hands free so I could use my right hand to put pressure on the horn to fill the casing, and use my left hand to easily maneuver the already cased length of sausage without needing to stop, while the foot pedal controls the flow. I'm thinking/hoping this would allow me to make one long rope with less air pockets and a more consistent thickness all the way through, which would ultimately improve the quality and consistency of my sausage. Plus a 10 lb. can would allow me to make a larger batch without needing to refill, so I feel that for those reasons the upgrade is justified and a motorized unit will make the stuffing process much smoother for me.

I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has the 10 lb. motorized LEM (or any of the motorized LEM's). Also open to suggestions for other brands. I'm just not aware of any other brand making a 10 lb. motorized unit.

Yes their new Big Bite motorized 10 lb stuffer. $649.99

I have the 5lb crank and the 20lb motorized.

Reactions: kevin james
Yes their new Big Bite motorized 10 lb stuffer. $649.99

I have the 5lb crank and the 20lb motorized.
What are your thoughts on the 20 lb. motorized unit? How is the quality? I was concerned because I did see a few reviews where some people had units break fairly quickly, mostly due to the gears, which is pretty concerning for a product that ranges between $650 and $1,000 depending on which size you get.

Also curious since you also have the same 5 lb. manual stuffer as me if you had the same issues when working alone and if you feel like the motorized unit solves those issues.

KJ, I don't have a motorized stuffer but wish I did as I too am a one man operation. IMHO, gears break because folks are trying to shove too much meat through a smaller tube. The larger the stuffer the larger the piston is moving meat to the stuffing tube. A 20# stuffer will have a hard time putting meat through a 19 mm snack stick tube unless the farce is really ,really wet. Folks try jamming dry farce into the smaller tube and break the gears. For snack sticks I use a 5# stuffer and still use a very wet farce, if you are making all sausage in the 35-38 mm + casings then go for the 10# motorized stuffer.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I've been looking at the 10lb model for quite a while as well.

i have the LEM 5lb and 20lb motorized.

Very pleased with both.

Reactions: crazymoon
I run their 5# manual machine which really won’t hold 5#, so guessing the 10# will work as a really nice 7# stuffer. I agree with crazymoon crazymoon that the 5# manual is handy for sticks, but I know lots of folks with the bigger electric stuffers that blow through snack sticks no problem. I have no experience with the 10# motorized stuffer, but I’m sure it’s a good one just a bit more $$$ than I would want to pay, LEM has good equipment though.

Reactions: crazymoon
I have the 30# LEM Motorized stuffer. I am a serious sausage maker and we do big batches for our big wild game processing days in February every year. I make 5 kilo (11#) batches of salami often throughout the year. Usually by summer, I will crank out large 25# batches of snack sticks. I have no issues using this stuffer for snack sticks. You just can't go fast or you will overheat the machine. Slow and steady pressure and let it eat. Takes me less than 30 minutes to stuff 25# of snack sticks.

Thanks for the info everyone. I just placed my order. Can't wait for it to get here!

In the mean time, I have this batch of sausage in the offset right now getting a smoke bath...

Sausage-9-05-22.jpg

No issues with the 5, been doing alone for years and years.

As for gears thats a user issue, trying to go total down to get all the mix out.....No go.

I just got my 10lb electric stuffer from LEM as well. I haven't used it yet, as I'm waiting for my wife to leave out of town before I destroy the kitchen.

I got 30% off on their Cyber Monday sale, and I've been waiting for it to be affordable since 2018. FINALLY GOT IT!!!

My last stuffer was a HAKKA I got from Amazon, and for $129, (2016 prices), it served me well. But I always had trouble getri g a consistent flow going with stuffing either snack sticks or sausage. I'm hoping that this will solve part of the problem.

AAnyway, how do you like your stuffer so far? Any updates?

I've only used it once so far as I've just been super busy, but I do plan to use it a lot more in the near future.

The one time I did use it I found it to be much easier than my manual 5 lb. stuffer from a flow and consistency stand point. Using a manual stuffer just makes it difficult and a PIA for a one man operation like me.

I'm really looking forward to doing another batch of sausage soon as I've upgraded my grinder as well, and I bought a dedicated sausage smoker. In addition to the LEM 10 lb. motorized stuffer I bought the Made with Meat 1.5 HP grinder which is a BEAST, and a Pro Smoker PK 100 electric smoker. It is hands down the best smoker for the home sausage maker IMO because it has a ton of room inside, it's fully insulated and made 100% of stainless steel inside and out, and it can run anywhere from I think 80 degrees F (I just now it goes well below 100) to 250 degrees F, so I can hit my preferred 140-150 range for suasage with ease, and the kicker is it will double as a warming cabinet for hot holding/resting briskets, ribs and other meats as well.

Here's the smoker:
PK100-Smoker.jpg

Last edited:
Using a manual stuffer just makes it difficult and a PIA for a one man operation like me.
The electric would be great, but I don't have much of an issue cranking with my right hand and controlling the fill with my left hand using my 5lb manual LEM stuffer.

The electric would be great, but I don't have much of an issue cranking with my right hand and controlling the fill with my left hand using my 5lb manual LEM stuffer.

It's definitely doable, and you can crank out a fine product (pun intended lol). I just wanted both hands free so I could put pressure on the horn with one hand and use the other to coil my ropes as I go without having to stop. I felt like the constant stopping and starting was resulting in more air pockets inside the casings. Don't get me wrong, it's not a huge problem, I'm just a perfectionist lol.

Reactions: DougE
It's definitely doable, and you can crank out a fine product (pun intended lol). I just wanted both hands free so I could put pressure on the horn with one hand and use the other to coil my ropes as I go without having to stop. I felt like the constant stopping and starting was resulting in more air pockets inside the casings. Don't get me wrong, it's not a huge problem, I'm just a perfectionist lol.
Trust me, I get where you're coming from. I'd love to have an electric stuffer, but I can't justify the cost.

There are a lot of guy's that like to keep both hands on their meat !!! lol I am jealous and envious of your electric stuffer !! I to spent some money on the Black Friday sale with Meat your Maker but when I called to place the order the grinder that I wanted was already sold out but I did score on the Chamber vacuum sealer. Have fun with the new stuffer . Merry Xmas Joe

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky