Leftovers Chicken Tortilla Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Yesterday when I made the Jalapeno Popper Chicken casserole that I posted I had gotten out way to much frozen chicken breast. I cooked the second batch in the method noted below and put in the frig to ponder a use. I also had a half dozen medium poblanos left to use up. While I have plenty of food cooked for the week and its warm as heck out in Ohio at 60F I decided to do some soup. I will give some away to neighbors and friends and freeze the rest. I am trying to make better use of freezing things this year to avoid waste. Following is what I did and it sure came out good. It’s another just simple but delicious meal
Using up leftovers Chicken Tortilla Soup

· 3-4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast

· 8 cups extra strength Minors chicken broth

· 1T Chile Morita paste (can sub canned chipotle adobo sauce)

· 2 cans diced tomatoes

· 5 medium poblano peppers

· 1 medium sweet onion

· 2 packets Sazon Goya cilantro y achiote

· 3-4T (to taste) T taco seasoning

· 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Fiesta Dip mix

· 1T Splenda

· 1T white vinegar

Ø Mix the 8 cups of Minors broth using the paste at 1.5x strength. Into 1 ½ cups mix the Chile Morita paste. Put the chicken breast (was frozen) into the Instant Pot for 30 minutes with the 1 ½ cup broth/ chile mixture. Set timer for 30 minutes. I let it naturally release while doing other steps.

Ø Seed and chop the Poblano’ s and dice the onion. Sauté in a pan in 1T oil (I use avocado almost exclusively).

Ø In the pot put the remaining broth, diced tomato’s including the juice, onions and peppers, Sazon Goya , taco seasoning and packet of the Fiesta dip mix and stir

Ø Cube the chicken and add to the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes or so. At the end I added about ½ salt and to taste the Splenda (or sugar) and vinegar. Top with cilantro and enjoy!!

That’s a wrap. As I said nothing fancy about it but it does hit the spot. I also like to drizzle a little Salvadoran crema on it with the cilantro. A squirt of lime is tasty too. ——-couple edit notes 1) The tortilla flavor comes from the Fiesta dip mix. I may have used another half packet if I had more 2) Appears this posted with odd spacing. Typed it in Word, emailed to phone and copy pasted. doesn’t seem to translate well for spacing lol. 2
73FA7F97-8ED3-4892-906D-17B6012CD9A4.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good and great colors! What does the " extra strength " chicken broth mean?
I make my broth from Minors concentrate. The beef and chicken are a staple. I mixed it at 1.5 times directions.

Reactions: chopsaw
You are a soup maestro! Thank you for another awesome post. I’ve had a terrible day and came home to chicken and rice. Didn’t want to insult my spouse, didn’t want to go off the rails unhealthy, so I’m doing a variation of this recipe now without the IP and a few pantry driven adjustments. So far it tastes amazing, still on low simmer. This and the cup of wine has helped lower my blood pressure🤣 Thank you again!
5FE99F1C-2D7F-4FF6-A1CE-23FC26DEE4D7.jpeg

You are a soup maestro! Thank you for another awesome post. I’ve had a terrible day and came home to chicken and rice. Didn’t want to insult my spouse, didn’t want to go off the rails unhealthy, so I’m doing a variation of this recipe now without the IP and a few pantry driven adjustments. So far it tastes amazing, still on low simmer. This and the cup of wine has helped lower my blood pressure🤣 Thank you again!View attachment 653477
Thanks for the kind words. Yours is looking tasty!!

Reactions: bauchjw
That looks so good Jeff. Adding to my crazy long list! I going to have to start making it a point to do at least one thing from the list a week. There is no way it is all going to get done. My only choice for that Minor's chicken broth would be Amazon and it kind of high. I normally just get the Members Mark at Sam's. Do you think Minor's is a lot better?

Is that Sazon Goya with Cilantro & Tomato?

1672924089031.png

Last edited:
That's a good lookin' soup !
I make my broth from Minors concentrate. The beef and chicken are a staple. I mixed it at 1.5 times directions.
Minors is great stuff . I mix it heavy or just add it to the pot .
I use the roasted garlic the most .

Another delicious looking soup Jeff! With so many great soups being posted I can't even keep up with them!

And bauchjw bauchjw the next time you have a day like that...pour a cup of wine and reserve for later... now finish said bottle of wine! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
Looks good Jeff, I have to finish off the split pea the wife made the other day before venturing out into a new direction.

Point for sure
Chris

Man, everything you put together just looks like a masterpiece, this soup included. That just looks and sounds fantastic. Beautiful job my friend!!

Robert

Another delicious looking soup Jeff! With so many great soups being posted I can't even keep up with them!

And bauchjw bauchjw the next time you have a day like that...pour a cup of wine and reserve for later... now finish said bottle of wine! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
I finished the bottle after the kids went to bed🤣 It was one of those days for sure, but the soup helped as much as the wine!!!

That looks so good Jeff. Adding to my crazy long list! I going to have to start making it a point to do at least one thing from the list a week. There is no way it is all going to get done. My only choice for that Minor's chicken broth would be Amazon and it kind of high. I normally just get the Members Mark at Sam's. Do you think Minor's is a lot better?

Is that Sazon Goya with Cilantro & Tomato?

View attachment 653525
I’ve not tried the Members Mark but intend to this month. This is the one I boy but I’m sure that is good too. I consider this a pantry staple
F2600A22-2C8E-4DAE-89AF-42EE6BE6CDA4.jpeg

Man, everything you put together just looks like a masterpiece, this soup included. That just looks and sounds fantastic. Beautiful job my friend!!

Robert
Thanks Robert! The soup is pretty tasty and I was very pleased with the pic.

Looks great Jeff! Chicken tortilla soup is delicious! I made some not too long ago, great stuff but the amount of tortilla strips I put on mine would be enough to make you want to slap me into Keto!

It freezes well too (minus the toppings)

Reactions: jcam222
Looks awesome!

The better half is pretty good at taking leftovers and turning them into soup.She just takes whatever there is leftover and throws into a pot with whatever stock/broth we have and then adds whatever veggies we have on hand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky