LEFTOVER EASTER HAM = HAM n BEANS CROCKPOT!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 7, 2017
Northern Arkansas-Banjo Land
Below is our recipe for Ham n Beans. The key ingredient is the ham bone.

Ham and Bean Soup Crockpot

3 cups cubed ham off the bone and bone added.
3 cans chicken broth
Small bag navy beans
1 onion, whole
3 carrots, whole
3-4 celery stalks, whole. (1 hour before done)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Soak the beans overnight in water.

Add all ingredients in crockpot, minus the celery. That goes in an hour before done.

Cook on low 8 hours.

That simple!
Enjoy!!!
08385416-D3A0-47A4-9E32-372D9FD3A9FA.jpeg
4A65E6E8-7515-4DCF-9C22-18705C854BA3.jpeg
37ADA387-7424-4AE3-927A-7CC279B89167.jpeg
4D6F9031-C6A7-4499-91B6-3D84E8BB17AD.jpeg

looks great Justin, to think I just tossed the bones with a bunch of meat the last time I double smoked 2 hams.

Those ham and beans look great! Simple food at it’s finest and some of my favorite eats, nicely done!

I was scrolling through the pics and thought "All that needs is a slab of cornbread." and BOOM! The last pic is pure perfection.

Jim

That looks sooo delicious! I love ham and beans. I have never made it. This looks simple enough even I could make it. Thank you for the recipe. It will be bookmarked.

Looks great! Hard to beat a good ham and bean soup. I’ll be doing some ham the next month or so. Couldn’t resist grabbing a couple spiral sliced hams at Kroger for $0.89 / lbs. No doubt sandwiches, ham and cabbage and eggs and ham are in my future.

Justin, I've got 2 ham bones from Easter and was already thinking of ham and beans. Thanks for your recipe...it looks great, so simple even I could make it, and will be done very soon...

Those ham and beans look great! Simple food at it’s finest and some of my favorite eats, nicely done!
Thanks bud!
I was scrolling through the pics and thought "All that needs is a slab of cornbread." and BOOM! The last pic is pure perfection.

Jim
Ohhh yea! Gotta have corn bread! Thanks for the compliment!
That looks sooo delicious! I love ham and beans. I have never made it. This looks simple enough even I could make it. Thank you for the recipe. It will be bookmarked.
Thanks Kimberly! It’s soooo simple to make!
That looks delicious. And it's easy on the teef!
My teefs are smiling!!!!
Looks great. I really love ham and beans. Seems there was always one of the critters waiting on the ham bone, so I never got to use it. I'll be saving the next one. I like onions with my ham and beans, so I chop it up and include it.
Gary
Thanks Gary! Yea, try it! You will love it!
Looks great! Hard to beat a good ham and bean soup. I’ll be doing some ham the next month or so. Couldn’t resist grabbing a couple spiral sliced hams at Kroger for $0.89 / lbs. No doubt sandwiches, ham and cabbage and eggs and ham are in my future.
Awesome! Thats one heck of a price! Thanks for the compliment!
Justin, I've got 2 ham bones from Easter and was already thinking of ham and beans. Thanks for your recipe...it looks great, so simple even I could make it, and will be done very soon...
Cool! Glad I can share it! Hope to hear from you soon!

I've been making hambone soup starting with pilsner beer as the broth for the bones. In hindsight, chicken broth seems like a natural.

Anyone else use beer? Has anyone compared two?

I believe I'm trying half&half next time. (beer&broth, not the dairy product!)

Note to all: never throw out a hambone.

I've been making hambone soup starting with pilsner beer as the broth for the bones. In hindsight, chicken broth seems like a natural.

Anyone else use beer? Has anyone compared two?

I believe I'm trying half&half next time. (beer&broth, not the dairy product!)

Note to all: never throw out a hambone.
Wow! Never thought of using beer. I may try half n half next time too!

Below is our recipe for Ham n Beans. The key ingredient is the ham bone.

Ham and Bean Soup Crockpot

3 cups cubed ham off the bone and bone added.
3 cans chicken broth
Small bag navy beans
1 onion, whole
3 carrots, whole
3-4 celery stalks, whole. (1 hour before done)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Soak the beans overnight in water.

Add all ingredients in crockpot, minus the celery. That goes in an hour before done.

Cook on low 8 hours.

That simple!
Enjoy!!!
View attachment 662657View attachment 662658View attachment 662659View attachment 662660

Nice hams .87 cents a pound here now So i was wanting to do one. Now I know what to do with the left overs lol

That ham and beans look excellent.

We tried ham and beans as a way to use up leftover Easter ham last year but were disappointed. My wife likes spiral cut, bone-in, Honey Baked ham for Easter and we enjoy it, but the resulting ham and beans comes out way too sweet for us. Is there a bone-in, spiral cut ham that can be bought without all the sweet stuff (assuming my wife would allow such a ham to be served on Easter)?

By the way, we do use ham hocks to make a black eyed peas and ham hocks soup for New Years. We really enjoy that and have hoped to use up Easter ham to make something similar.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
...Honey Baked ham for Easter and we enjoy it, but the resulting ham and beans comes out way too sweet for us...
A little more salt or sour (vinegar? lemon?) may cut the apparent sweetness for you?

Personally I add a pretty healthy squeeze of honey to my hambone soup...even when it was a leftover Honey Baked ham...but I like the sweet. (Unless it's getting too runny, in which case I'll use brown sugar to both sweeten and thicken.)
Getting that sweetness just right is usually one of the last tweaks I do after ~18hrs of simmering.)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky