Lebanese Kibbeh

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Way back when i was just a yonker my moms older brother was married to a Lebanese woman. She showed my mom how to make kibbeh. Sadly when my mom passed she took the recipe with her.

This recipe is pretty close to what i remember.

1 1/2 cup bulgar wheat
1/2 cup water for soaking the bulgar
1 onion chopped fine or run thru grinder or processor
1/2 cup mint leaves (you can use basil if you dont have mint)
1 T salt
1 lb lean beef or lamb if you have it.
2 tsp 7 spice mix (i will post how to make)

7 spice (all ground items)
1 T allspice
1 T coriander
1 T cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp clove
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg.
mix all together, good for 6-8 months.

IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4863.JPG

Making the kibbeh

1. To prepare the base meat mixture, add the bulgur wheat to a medium bowl along with the water, fluff after 10 minutes to absorb all the water.

2. Transfer soaked bulgur to a food processor or grinder pan along with the onion, basil and/or mint, and 1 tablespoon salt. Blend until well combined. Add the lean ground beef to the food processor/grinder and blend until well combined. (you will need to squeez all the water from the bulgar)

3. Add the lean beef, along with the remaining salt and 7 Spice. Blend again until a meat paste forms. Divide the mixture in half.

4. make small patties and fry. You can bake these at 400* for 30 mins, flip each patty at the 15 min mark.

Soaked bulgar, mint, onion, salt
IMG_4864.JPG

I used my counter top grinder.
IMG_4865.JPG

7 spice added to the meat
IMG_4866.JPG

Add all the items that got ground. Cover and fridge for 2 hours for flavor to come together.
IMG_4867.JPG

You can also make a filling for these and shape into like little footballs.

2 T olive oil for browning the beef.
1 lb ground beef
1 diced onion
1 tsp salt
1 T 7 spice
1/4 cup pine nuts.

Brown the beef in the olive oil, add the onion, salt and 7 spice. After the filling has cooked and cooled fold in the pine nuts.
This is for a stuffed kibbeh

BBL to show the final

Looking good!
My preference would be beef; but isn't the more common/ traditional meat either lamb or goat?

I think this is going to be a good one, but my God Rick, do you ever do anything but cook bread & make sausage. It looks like a full time job. Maybe you should set up a tent in your resort for Rick’s goodies! Probably have a line around the block!
Al

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
I think this is going to be a good one, but my God Rick, do you ever do anything but cook bread & make sausage. It looks like a full time job. Maybe you should set up a tent in your resort for Rick’s goodies! Probably have a line around the block!
Al
I bet the resort manager would not like that...lol
Pretty quiet here since most the snowbirds flew back north.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky