Late season aspic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
With winter hanging around longer than normal i thought aspic would cure cabin fever.

2 feet, 2 ears singed (twice - there is always a hair left) and cleaned
20180421_113012-1.jpg

In the pressure cooker with vegs and spices
20180421_113550-1.jpg

Don't know how to make them... Pickled salmon, I can make... I was gonna try the "WORLD FAMOUS ATOMIC SMOKE'S"
aspic...

Reactions: kit s
Dave,

You can both eat the cake and have it too: make pickled feet, reduce the stock, voila - you have aspic (meatless). For some colour and to elevate to a higher lavel add some carrots to the cook and drop them in the stock before it turns to jelly. Chooped asparagus and hardboiled eggs too.

Johns
It's very simple. Feet and ears (tails too if you have) in the pot with an onion, whole garlic, whole pepper, salt, bay leaves, carrot If you cook in the pressure cooker add enough water to cover the meat. If you cook in the stockpot you will need to add more water during cooking. In the pressure cooker cook for 2--3h. In the stockpot 6-8h, mske sure you dont end up with too much liquid - it will not coagulate. Pick meat of the bones, strain stock into glas containers, add meat to the stock and cool. Refrigerate overnight. You can add the cooked carrot to the aspic, but won't keep as well as the meat only dish.
If you like it garlicy mince some garlic and let it steep in a strainer in the stock for 15 minutes.
Next day scrape the fat if you don't like it and serve. For effect carefully flip the aspic on a cutting board before serving.

Dave,

You can both eat the cake and have it too: make pickled feet, reduce the stock, voila - you have aspic (meatless). For some colour and to elevate to a higher lavel add some carrots to the cook and drop them in the stock before it turns to jelly. Chooped asparagus and hardboiled eggs too.
Atomic- r u a fan of pickled pigs feet, I haven't had since gramma passed, I t was my fav, grampa and I would eat a whole jar at one sitting, it was the best, do you have recipe?

Johns
It's very simple. Feet and ears (tails too if you have) in the pot with an onion, whole garlic, whole pepper, salt, bay leaves, carrot If you cook in the pressure cooker add enough water to cover the meat. If you cook in the stockpot you will need to add more water during cooking. In the pressure cooker cook for 2--3h. In the stockpot 6-8h, mske sure you dont end up with too much liquid - it will not coagulate. Pick meat of the bones, strain stock into glas containers, add meat to the stock and cool. Refrigerate overnight. You can add the cooked carrot to the aspic, but won't keep as well as the meat only dish.
If you like it garlicy mince some garlic and let it steep in a strainer in the stock for 15 minutes.
Next day scrape the fat if you don't like it and serve. For effect carefully flip the aspic on a cutting board before serving.
Gramma made w/ vinegar and pickling spice in the aspic must be more than one way to skin a cat, thnx for your recipe. Gramma passed and took alot of her recipes with her since my mother and sisters were not interested.So I am trying to reconstruct as many as I can.

Gramma made w/ vinegar and pickling spice in the aspic must be more than one way to skin a cat, thnx for your recipe. Gramma passed and took alot of her recipes with her since my mother and sisters were not interested.So I am trying to reconstruct as many as I can.
The thread and the recipe are for pork aspic not pickled feet. The cooking process is similar but not the same. For pickled feet the focus is on meat, for aspic is on both stock and meat. Couldnt help you with a pickled feet recipe.

Dave,

Are you watching me from 3,000 miles to the EAST ??

I just returned from cruising the fence lines and doing some pickin'...
asparagus.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky