larger diameter, shorter CC or smaller and longer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chaser_2332

Original poster
Aug 10, 2018
if one more efficient that another? example would i be better off with a 36" pipe 5' long for a 30" pipe 6' or does it make a difference as long as the math is correct on the firebox and stack?

Narrow long vs. wide short... narrow long increases square inches of surface vs. volume... that increases resistance to air flow... In a natural draft system, that's a killer... (when you get to a certain point)... I don't know that point... you will know when you get there because the FB overheats... Temps are up closer to the FB.. Too small an exhaust stack causes the same problems...

My experience with my smoker and others that I have been around has been that a smoker needs to be proportional. If it is too long and skinny there will be issues. If it is too fat and squatty there will be another set of issues. Firebox and stack for sure need to be sized properly. Tinkering with those numbers can help overcome issues that are caused by poor ratios size wise of length vs. diameter. Just my 2 cents worth.

Weedeater

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky