Large BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cjohnson3006

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
Butler county kansas
Hosting a fundraiser for our local fire station Sat for an early father's day dinner. I've got 18 slabs baby backs, 20# pork butts and 38# brisket in this cooler plus a few bags shredded cheese and bacon. Also doing bbq beans, cheesy tater casserole, green beans cooked in bacon and onion, loaded tater salad and Cole slaw. Needless to say I've got a lot of time to spend just on prepping the meat, let alone time cooking and making the sides. Smoking with mulberry. I'll add more pics as I start the process

Attachments

• IMG_20180614_182736.jpg
    IMG_20180614_182736.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: idahopz
I'll be lighting fire around 5am and putting briskets and pork butts on around 6. Ribs will go on about 11:30. Planning to have food done and wrapped in towels in cooler around 4 to serve 5ish

Put rub on briskets and pork butts and sat in fridge overnight. Ribs will go on about 11

Attachments

• IMG_20180616_062454.jpg
    IMG_20180616_062454.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20180616_062402.jpg
    IMG_20180616_062402.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20180616_053721.jpg
    IMG_20180616_053721.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: phatbac and BKING!
Sorry I didnt get more pics. I was slammed yest. The 3 slabs of ribs are what I cooked early so I could have a meal as well as a few of the firemen who were there setting up the kitchen. We had people show early wanting lunch so they went quick. Not sure how many people attended but we were sold out of the 18 slabs of ribs in about an hour and 15min. Probably could have sold 40. Pulled pork and brisket were also a hit and I got lots of compliments on all. The fire station raised a little more than their goal so I'm glad things worked out smoothly. My wife wasn't happy as we had a baby girl Friday morning and I wasn't with her till close to 10 last night by the time I made it to hospital.

Attachments

• IMG_20180616_090437.jpg
    IMG_20180616_090437.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20180616_143502.jpg
    IMG_20180616_143502.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: BKING!
Can you give a time line of when you fire each item to bring it all off at serving time. Also, which items do you plane to fire and hold until serving time.
I always try to get meat done at least an hour before serving time. I wrap in towel and place in cooler for meat to rest. For an event this large, I sliced the first brisket just prior to serving and poured a little hot beef broth over the slices so they wouldn't get dry as it was being served for about an hour and a half and even though it was in a foil pan and covered, that's a lot of time being opened and closed. As far as sides, I keep them on smoker until serving. I just cut temp down so sides don't continue to overcook. Sometimes I have to leave smoker door open with firebox air inlets closed to cool smoker down. Once sides are all off smoker, I open everything and stir fire so it burns out and cools down so I can transport down road

congratulations on both the baby girl and the successful smoke.

Points for sure.

Wow nice smoke! congrats on the new baby! impressive looking rig you have too!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)
Thanks. Smoker has been an ongoing project since I started it in 2011. Was originally the rear tank on single axle trailer and keeps getting bigger and refined. Just built the vertical cabinet with dual rotisserie in April. I plan to add a sink, faucet and clean water holding tank in the near future. Also a few folding work surfaces on front smoker. I enjoy building it as well as the cooking

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky