Lang 48 patio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dantij

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 21, 2018
Frankfort, IL
Just bought my 1st offset smoker. Went with the Lang 48 patio. I found a tiny hole under the belly of the cooker, close to the drain. Does this serve a purpose?

I don't think that hole is supposed to be there. I just looked at my Lang, & there is no hole. You might want to call Lang.
Al

I don't think that hole is supposed to be there. I just looked at my Lang, & there is no hole. You might want to call Lang.
Al
exchanged emails with them. I was told that it is used as a drain in case water gets in the baffle allowing it to drain so it doesn't rust from the inside out.

20181020_130452.jpg
20181020_130452.jpg

Mine has it. it is between the drain and nose right up against the drain pipe. Got my smoker in july

I don't know how it works but I have had water come out of it when steam cleaning. water shouldn't be going in to the bottom of the pan. should be sealed by the welds

I don't know how it works but I have had water come out of it when steam cleaning. water shouldn't be going in to the bottom of the pan. should be sealed by the welds
Thanks for the reply. I was starting to think it wasn't supposed to be there.

I believe it's there by design. What I understand is they put there in case water gets the bottom part of the smoker (under the reverse flow plate). The drain with valve drains anything on top of the reverse flow but if water gets under the plate while cleaning it doesn't have a way to drain out without that hole. I have a Lang and it has one as well.

If I happen to get any water under the RF plate it would just drain into the firebox, cause I have the thing setup so the firebox end is a little lower than the other end, but that has never happened yet. Maybe I should just drill a hole in the bottom anyway, just in case!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky