Landjager almost done.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mmmm Meat

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 6, 2021
Got back from a weekend of fishing with my son. I went straight to the curing chamber and started weighing my babies. I made this Landjager which I based on Marianski's recipe but I ended up using the calculator on the 2Guys website. http://twoguysandacooler.com/landjager/ That recipe calculator uses much less dextrose than Marianski. I used just 4.6 g in the six pound mix. Also, I went with T-SPX suggested by Marianski as opposed to Flavors of Italy starter used by 2Guys.

Initial pH was 5.63. After 40 hours fermenting, the pH was at 5.13. I cold smoked them for four hours using pellets in a smoke generator tube and put them in the curing chamber. After 26 days drying, they are at 38% weight loss, but not as firm as the Landjager I've had previously. I couldn't resist cutting one open and tasting it; the rest have another week or so of drying.
Four hours of smoke was only half of that recommended but I find them way too smoky for my taste. The smoke completely overpowers the spices. It tastes so similar to smoked/kippered Salmon that I don't think I could tell the difference between the two if I was blindfolded. It still eats pretty well with when accompanied by a beer though so all is good.

landjager.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! Are those 2guys recipes good in general? Looks like a few there I'd like to try..

Landjager is officially done this morning. Weight loss ranged from 41% - 45%. Nice and firm, just the way I like it. I found them way too smoky the other day on sampling, but this morning the smoke seems right perfect. It may be that some links picked up more smoke that others. I have no idea. All in all though, this recipe from Marianski is a winner though the flavor doesn't linger on the tongue very long. Since I was vacuum sealing it to equalize the links for a couple weeks, I removed the mold from the exterior. What a pain that is!

landjager2.jpg
landjager3.PNG
landjager4.jpg

Anticipating the loss of product from the chamber, I started a new project this morning: Finocchiona!

Finocchiona.PNG

Thanks Al. It's nice to have my efforts work out well ( rather than be fed to the dogs).

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky