Lamb Ribs...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...also called lamb breast, are a first for me. I was in a grocery store and saw these and thought, "That's something new and different that I've never even see, much less eaten." The price was about $5.00/lb., but for something new to try, I grabbed a pack. It had 2 lamb spare ribs, about 4 lbs. total, and we like lamb so I thought that I could figure out a way to cook them. After some interwebbing, I found out that basically they can be cooked just like any other ribs or spare ribs. So here goes a first for me...

Here's the lineup for today. Lamb ribs, fresh cantaloupe, and cauliflower...
thumbnail (12).jpg

I removed the membrane on the bone side like most do on ribs. I was kind of surprised that there really wasn't much to it. I scored them and rubbed them with Dijon mustard for a binder. Some dry oregano, thyme, and rosemary and then some of my BBQ dry rub...
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg

Next up was smoking on indirect heat with cherry being the wood of choice. I smoked them for about 1 1/2 hours and then wrapped...
thumbnail (4).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg

Meanwhile, I've got the fresh cauliflower roasting. I seasoned with my usual EVOO, coarse salt and fresh ground pepper. While the cauliflower is roasting, I made a cheese sauce. 2-3 TBSP of unsalted butter are melted and the same amount of all purpose flour is added to cook...
thumbnail (7).jpg
thumbnail (8).jpg

Once the flour is cooked, it will smell nutty, I add 1/2 & 1/2 and stir to make kind of a white gravy. When it thickens, I add grated extra sharp cheddar cheese. Stir to combine and melt the cheese...
thumbnail (9).jpg
thumbnail (10).jpg

Now back to the ribs. They've been wrapped for about 45 minutes. I made a red BBQ sauce and added apple cider and red raspberry jelly and let it cook on medium low until thickened...
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg

The ribs are unwrapped and then this sauce is brushed on. The ribs are cooked for maybe 15-20 minutes to set the sauce...
thumbnail (11).jpg

Corn has been boiled, cantaloupe is cut up, ribs have been cut between the bones, we're getting close...
thumbnail (13).jpg
thumbnail (14).jpg

Now we're ready...
thumbnail (15).jpg

We like lamb, but this was a first for me. I will definitely do these again, but maybe next time I won't wrap and see how that turns out. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated...

I'd love to give this a try, but my wife doesn't like lamb. More for me, I guess.
Excellent looking meal by the way.

Looks fantastic. I don't think I've seen lamb spareribs anywhere around here, but I would love to give them a try. How were they on tender were they after about 2.5 hours cooked? And what temp were you running the at?

We like lamb, but this was a first for me. I will definitely do these again, but maybe next time I won't wrap and see how that turns out. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated...
Grilling or smoking lamb gives it a lot of flavor, way different than oven roasted lamb.

Breast is the equivalent to pork spare ribs with the pork belly still attached. You can do the render-to-tender part of the cook for longer than you think.
vrIKjGj.jpg
They are sliceable, but if you pull the meat and remove some of the fat, it's outstanding for tacos or pulled lamb sandwiches.
Dkcl6YA.jpg

Now that, is good eats. I’ve raised and eaten lamb my entire life. One of the best red meats available. Very nice work. Looks delicious.

Looks fantastic. I don't think I've seen lamb spareribs anywhere around here, but I would love to give them a try. How were they on tender were they after about 2.5 hours cooked? And what temp were you running the at?
These ribs are smaller, thinner than pork spare ribs and baby back ribs and are somewhat fattier (A LOT fattier than baby backs). From what I'd read, they don't require near as long to cook, about 3 hours total, so that's what I went with. Probably due to wrapping them, but they were fall off the bone tender. I'll cook these again and next time not wrap them. These were cooked at about 275℉-300℉ off of direct heat.

Now that, is good eats. I’ve raised and eaten lamb my entire life. One of the best red meats available. Very nice work. Looks delicious.
Thank you, Smokin. Like I said, this was the first time that I had seen these, so maybe I can get them again...
Looks fantastic!! Wish I could find these, I’d like to try them.
Jeff, thank you...

Wow...and I mean WOW!! That all looks gfreat. Love the flavor profile for the lamb with the seasonings you used. Very nice job all around.

Robert

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
We love lamb, but don’t buy it often because it costs so much down here in Florida. I have never had lamb ribs, but would love to try them, cause yours sure look good!
Al

That whole meals looks very Good, You can cook that for me anytime.
I dont bother trying to remove what membrane there is cause I,m a lazy bugga.
If you get bored one day, use Blackberry instead of your Strawberry, blackberry goes fantastic with Lamb.
I dont wrap ,as they are greasy enough to handle being uncovered .
We live in an area that has a big Middle Eastern migrant influence which makes the cheap cuts like ribs very accessable.

Impressive! The whole meals looks great. Ive not played with Breast of Lamb. Never actually saw one for sale any place we shopped or shop. The other issue, my family are not Lamb Fans. I grew up having Broiled Loin Chops as a special occasion meal. I like lamb and will order it in a restaurant...JJ

We love lamb, but don’t buy it often because it costs so much down here in Florida. I have never had lamb ribs, but would love to try them, cause yours sure look good!
Al
Impressive! The whole meals looks great. Ive not played with Breast of Lamb. Never actually saw one for sale any place we shopped or shop. The other issue, my family are not Lamb Fans. I grew up having Broiled Loin Chops as a special occasion meal. I like lamb and will order it in a restaurant...JJ
I'm in lamb country, and its somewhat common, My Wal-Mart carries the "split breast" (ribs) , its domestic, and about $4 a pound.

• Sad
Reactions: chef jimmyj
Looks great, cooked some a few months ago, they were great, haven't run across any since but I keep a eye out now

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky