Lacto Fermented Yellow Onions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Well, someone we all know posted about Lacto Fermented stuff...
It's all his fault...
I've lacto fermented cabbage, 2% salt, to make kraut and it's awesome... I love this purple fermented cabbage...

Cabbage Purple Fermented.jpg

So, my love for pickled onions turned me in this direction...

Rolling pin, in food grade plastic, to squeeze,crush down the onion slices....
Easy grip lids that are AWESOME and make life easy....
Mason glass weights to hold stuff under the liquid...

DSCF0187.JPG DSCF0188.JPG DSCF0190.JPG 1604417021246.jpeg

Sliced onions with 2% kosher salt added... no other liquid added... Onions are mostly water and it took about 3 days to get that much liquid...
The vacuum pump is a great idea... Removes oxygen and other bad stuff... Perfect as far as I'm concerned...

I've done a taste test after about 5 days... Onions, yellow onions, are a bit pungent yet but I think another week or 2 and they will be very good....

DSCF0189.JPG

Rick has led me down many roads on this forum... ALL were well paved and smooth...
Amesphos, STPP, was the best... It's made a huge difference in smoked meats...
I'm thinkin' this ferment lid will make a big difference, in ease of application, for fermenting....

Thanks Rick....

Looks good Dave..

Easy to do and cheaper than buying already fermented items.

images.jpg

Reactions: daveomak
Have a batch of red onions that's been in the fridge for over a year. More of an experiment than anything else. Wanted to see how the flavor profile changes with time. I also wanted to see if anything funky would happen. So far nothing and like with sauerkraut the flavor only gets better with age!

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky