lack of smoke upgrade kit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Guy's,

Without going into great detail, we did have some issues with the ESQ30 (Window, and non-window) not producing enough smoke.  As you all know, the change to the chip box/chip tray was made at the same time that we increased the wattage on our elements.  Although this new design was tested thoroughly, the production unit's did not perform quite as well as anticipated.  While achieving our goal to reduce heat up, and recovery time, the "lack" of smoke issue arose.  Adding to this, was one of the hottest summer season's we have had recently, which, with the increased wattage, reduced the cycle time even more, not allowing the chips to ignite in some instances.   While we do have a limited amount of retro-kits in stock, we are working hard to receive more asap.  I am currently at the factory, to ensure timely delivery.  Everyone at Masterbuilt is dedicated to producing the safest, best performing products on the market, and providing superior customer service.  We do listen to our customers, your suggestions, and I hope the improvements to our products show that.  I try to visit this site weekly at a minimum, and you are welcome to mail me anytime, and I will get back to you asap.  Tks.  Darryl

During the time we were developing the "retro-fit kit", I worked with several customers directly to verify the design, and I would like to post one of their comments below:

"Today was the BIG event for the Retro-Fit. Went wonderful. At a set temp of 200 degrees I had smoke within 5 minutes (130degrees) and full smoke within 8 minutes. 7 and 1/2 hours later I foiled the ribs with bbq sauce. Another 1/2 hour and the meal was ready. The meat fell off the bone and the flavor of smoke was wonderful. Sorry, no pics, we ate it all. I did add about 2 inches of water in the pan so the meat would stay moist during the process and used dry chips twice.

Thanks for making us happy! Joe"
Darryl

Thanks for filling the consumers in on all the hard work masterbuilt is doing to resolve this issue. Its nice to know there is someone at masterbuilt looking in on the forum. The customer service at masterbuilt is always willing to help.

Hey Guy's,

Just a quick update.  We are running low on the retro-kits, but I have arranged for an air-shipment, so if there is any delay, it should be short lived.  Also, I wanted to respond to Dale's question directly.  The older units (prior to the chip tray/wattage change) were not designed to have replaceable elements, and there are no "warranty" parts available for the upgrade you are describing.  However, if you would like to like to send me a PM, I may be able to help.

Also, the call's we have received regarding the "lack of smoke" issue have been with the 30" models (this includes the 910).  We have not to my knowledge received any negative feedback regarding the 40" models.  This being said, if anyone is experiencing this with the 40" models, please send me a PM describing the problem. 

I appreciate everyone's "positive" response, and support, and glad to see we have a "Team Masterbuilt" contingent here.  Thanks again, Darryl

Hey Guy's,

Just a quick update.  We are running low on the retro-kits, but I have arranged for an air-shipment, so if there is any delay, it should be short lived.  Also, I wanted to respond to Dale's question directly.  The older units (prior to the chip tray/wattage change) were not designed to have replaceable elements, and there are no "warranty" parts available for the upgrade you are describing.  However, if you would like to like to send me a PM, I may be able to help.

Also, the call's we have received regarding the "lack of smoke" issue have been with the 30" models (this includes the 910).  We have not to my knowledge received any negative feedback regarding the 40" models.  This being said, if anyone is experiencing this with the 40" models, please send me a PM describing the problem. 

I appreciate everyone's "positive" response, and support, and glad to see we have a "Team Masterbuilt" contingent here.  Thanks again, Darryl
Hi MBTechGuy,

The 40" definetley has the same issue regarding lack of smoke.The unit will not generate consistent smoke at lower temps (below 250). So at 225 ,(after the unit is preheated to 275),it will generate smoke initially then stop smoking.The heating element will cycle on and off but not stay on long enough for the wood chips to continue smoldering,hence no smoke.. 

Bump!!

Somebody has to have received and installed this update kit

TJ

Hi MBTechGuy,

The 40" definetley has the same issue regarding lack of smoke.The unit will not generate consistent smoke at lower temps (below 250). So at 225 ,(after the unit is preheated to 275),it will generate smoke initially then stop smoking.The heating element will cycle on and off but not stay on long enough for the wood chips to continue smoldering,hence no smoke.. 

bobby Gee,

i have had my mes 40 for a few years and have never had a problem w smoke. I get smoke at 175 w/ no problem. Do me a favor and check your mes internal temps w/ a known calibrated thermo. One of my friends just bought a mes and he had the same problem . Masterbuilt had him unplug it for 5 min to try to do a cold reset. it didn't work so they sent him a new cotroll module. problem solved.

Any idea when Sams Club is going to get more of the 40 inch models in stock?

Hey Guy's,

eman.. I beleive that masterbuilt changed there design this year.(there is an extra piece of metal inbetween the heating element and the chip holder) Alot of us had this issue with this year's model.Anyway .. I think it is all moot at this point because masterbuilt just sent me an upgrade kit for my 40"!! A big thanx goes out to Darryl(MBtechguy). I'll start a new thread with my results once I receive and install it.

eman.. I beleive that masterbuilt changed there design this year.(there is an extra piece of metal inbetween the heating element and the chip holder) Alot of us had this issue with this year's model.Anyway .. I think it is all moot at this point because masterbuilt just sent me an upgrade kit for my 40"!! A big thanx goes out to Darryl(MBtechguy). I'll start a new thread with my results once I receive and install it.
Darryl's a good guy to have around!

Bear

instead of masterbuilt putting out a marginal product that requires "work arounds" to get the performance we demand, why dont they just build something that works right without tinkering, ie burnt terminals (re wireing), hot spots (ceramic tile), no smoke (upgrade kit). Does anybody else not see this??? I had one that was great while it lasted, which was less than two years, now it sits in my garage taken apart with a tool box sitting on it. its a great conversation piece. i get to talk about how everyone raves about this oven that smokes a little bit, then if this happens you do this, and if this happens you call this person, then if you stand on one leg and squint your eyes...... come on, build a quality product that works properly right out of the box.  We're lucky they're customer service is helpful, or we'd all have a nice 200 + $ stand for a tool box. BTW, i built a uds and never looked back.

MES = Maybe Eventually Sufficient

Might Even Salvage

Mega Excriment Supply

i could go on and on

just my .02

(always wanted to say that)

Manipulate Every Saturday (or Sunday)

Might Even Smoke (if you hold your mouth right)

OK, we got your point. You don't like the MES.

I remember you said you ruined 2 briskets with it.

OOOOps, my mistake, that was with your GOSM.

Last edited:
Ok so maybe my obnoxious side came out a little there,    

Good memory.  Actually those turned out to be pretty good.  As a matter of fact, i did seven briskets and 14 chickens on my mes and my stepdads for my sister in law's wedding, and those were my best yet.  I just dont think you should have to make all these mods to a product you pay over 200$ for just to keep it going or make it work properly. I'm not going to rewire it just to have it burn up again in the middle of a thanksgiving turkey.  The whole point of buying a digital smoker is for ease of use, Right??  Drilling out pop rivits and rewiring a smoker while a turkey's getting cold, well that doesnt sound easy to me. I dont intend to put anyone down for using them, i just dont feel like i got what i paid for, and by the looks of these posts and hundreds more, i'm not alone, just the only one saying it.

It's no secret it has its share of problems, just do a quick search. I never told you to quit using it, only that several people have had to rewire and change this and that, and i didnt pay for something i would have to rebuild because you cant buy a replacement part. I paid for "set and forget". And so did all these other folks here. And i bet they paid more than 169 for a stainless 40 with a window.

Hey Wes

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!

I sell a lot of my A-MAZE-N-SMOKERS to people who's MES don't work!!!

TJ

You have to remember also that not every person with a MES posts here and the people without problems tend to never show up anywhere.  I'd bet the % of units with issues is fairly small.  If it was that big there would be recalls..

Hey Wes

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!

I sell a lot of my A-MAZE-N-SMOKERS to people who's MES don't work!!!

TJ
Well i may just take you up on that, i've got a nice insulated box that would make a great cold smoker!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky