Labor Day Throwdown Winners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
David hopefully everybody that entered will post up some more pics and recipes now that the voting is over

Reactions: DRKsmoking
David hopefully everybody that entered will post up some more pics and recipes now that the voting is over

Yes I hope everyone does also. Everyone worked hard at their presentations , so would be nice to see how they were done. I know I would like to see them . That's how I get more info on different cooks and ways to do them.
I'm going to try to post mine Friday. All depends on how this job is going. Long days and out of town for me.

David

Congratulations to the winners and everyone that entered. Please post you cooks.
Yes I hope everyone does also. Everyone worked hard at their presentations , so would be nice to see how they were done. I know I would like to see them . That's how I get more info on different cooks and ways to do them.
I'm going to try to post mine Friday. All depends on how this job is going. Long days and out of town for me.

David
BmBkWNh.jpg

I was Entry #3. The 'Labor Day' and 'Pork' themes were perfect because I was cooking on Saturday for a small gathering at home. My pork selection was two Coppa roasts, aka Money Muscle roasts from the top of a pork butt. These muscle groups are the most tender of the entire shoulder and I love to cook them to serve sliced. These take 5 or 6 hours with an indirect set-up. They are truly 'fork tender'. The window of doneness is narrow because if you over cook them they can't be sliced (but make outstanding pulled pork). I served slices from one roast and cubes from a second roast. The other pork offering is jalapeno cheddar sausage. The corn is local sweet corn, salads are potato and Asian coleslaw to pair with the pork, beans are jazzed up pinto's, the pickles are home made dills and the bread is freshly baked sourdough ciabatta.

This was a fun Throwdown, I'm in for more!
a2uyoX5.jpg
Just after sunrise
ZB2v1uL.jpg
Wrapping for the rest. I did add some thinned out sauce.
W9eC3pz.jpg
Changing cookers for the corn and using a very raised direct set-up. The cast iron #3 skillet/pot combination keep the basting butter from burning.
2QlStMB.jpg
OermxAG.jpg
RMnXKWL.jpg

Thank you every one for all the kind words. I just got in. When I noticed the announcement this morning on my way to work. I was surprised and very happy.
Jeff ( @jcam222 ) when the competition was first on I saw yours and said " Sh1t " , that's a great plate and fantastic colors and right there I new I was in trouble.
And you doubled my score , good for you, I would have no problem sitting down to all of that, Your was a great entry.

I am truly Honoured to be on this forum with all of you , Like Jeff said. It is the folks on here that make me want to try new and different smokes/cooks. A lot of you have helped me out as I learn this new way of cooking, smoking and preserving as in Bacon , sausages etc. I often go through a lot of past cooks from a lot of you, and see what you have done. And see if I can do it also. Does not always work , but that just means try again.

Again Thank You all for the votes and the comments

David
I couldn't agree with you more.

Congrats gentlemen ! Some obvious effort into an amazing feast and great pics! Could see everyone worked hard on the entries, so much fun to see and happy for the well deserved winners!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky