Labor Day Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

link

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Michigan
So I recently did some Canadian Bacon Using tender loins and wanted to do some with a full loin so here it is.

Picked up a full pork loin from Costco (about 9 lbs) and made some Canadian bacon. I followed Bear's steps for making this (always comes out great).
let it cure for 7 days and them smoked it with apple pellets and the a-maze-n tube to an internal temp of 145°.

Sliced it all up and got 12 half pound packs (ate a bit and gave some away). This came out really good.
Thanks for looking
Link

Attachments

• 1 CB Done Brining.jpg
    1 CB Done Brining.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 43
  • 2 CB Fry Testy.jpg
    2 CB Fry Testy.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 3 CB Smoked.jpg
    3 CB Smoked.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 4 CB Slice.jpg
    4 CB Slice.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 5 CB Sliced up.jpg
    5 CB Sliced up.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: SmokinAl
I love Canadian Bacon (actually an American thing) too, and yours looks quite tasty. I've found that I prefer the authentic Canadian style which is unsmoked and rolled in pea meal or cornmeal after curing and before slicing. What I would really like to find, but is nonexistent here, is British style pork loin to make British back bacon. It's the same loin we use, but it includes more of the fat plus a big piece of the pork belly still attached.

English-Wet-Cured-Bacon-1lb_1024x1024_ef7a0d5c-4e69-477e-870c-5aee1b34fa32_grande.png

I love Canadian Bacon (actually an American thing) too, and yours looks quite tasty. I've found that I prefer the authentic Canadian style which is unsmoked and rolled in pea meal or cornmeal after curing and before slicing. What I would really like to find, but is nonexistent here, is British style pork loin to make British back bacon. It's the same loin we use, but it includes more of the fat plus a big piece of the pork belly still attached.

View attachment 375442
So, in the method where it is unsmoked and rolled in pea meal does it still taste like Ham? Or does it have a different flavor?

View attachment 375442
Brother you speaking my thoughts outloud. This to me is the pinnacle of bacon. I've had it before because we have an Irish Pub here that imports them for their menu.

So, in the method where it is unsmoked and rolled in pea meal does it still taste like Ham? Or does it have a different flavor?
I imagine it would taste like ham yet..and most modern methods use cornmeal actually. The entire rolled in the meal bit is to extend the shelf life apparently.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky