• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Kosher dill pickles fridge style

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Today I bought a jar of the Ball kosher dill pickle spice blend. This has all the spices and the pickle crisp already in it. So, I went about making 2 quarts using that. And got 2 English cucumbers. I should have bought 3. So these 2 quart mason jars are packed light.
The directions are easy enough.
I cut the cucumbers into spears. And got them soaking in ice water.
In a pot I added:
4 cups water
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup of the Ball spice blend.
Bring these to a boil.
Pack the cukes into the quart mason jars. Fill with brine to a 1/2" from rim.

DSCN4414.jpg

I vacuum sealed these so they'll be ready in about a week.

DSCN4417.jpg

The jar of mix will make 14 quarts of pickles.

TNJAKE

Master of the Pit
Joined Nov 26, 2019
Man you are killing me with all this pickling. I gotta get on it. Looks tasty

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
My Mom made Refrigerator Pickles. Garlic and Fresh Dill. You did not want to eat these before a Date! Nice job...JJ

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Looks good Steve. I see some dill in the back, guess you’re making more?

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Man you are killing me with all this pickling. I gotta get on it. Looks tasty
Thanks Jake! Stand by for the pickled beans I'll be doing later. I love those things.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
My Mom made Refrigerator Pickles. Garlic and Fresh Dill. You did not want to eat these before a Date! Nice job...JJ
Thanks Jimmy! The pickles from Al's recipe is also a date breaker!

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Alright Steve, this just isn't fair. I made a bunch of pickled stuff following your tutelage not long ago but the pickles have run the gamut. Time to make some more but I'm gonna hang on and see how yours turn out. If good I'll get some of the spice and get them going. Nice job buddy!!

Robert

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Alright Steve, this just isn't fair. I made a bunch of pickled stuff following your tutelage not long ago but the pickles have run the gamut. Time to make some more but I'm gonna hang on and see how yours turn out. If good I'll get some of the spice and get them going. Nice job buddy!!

Robert
Lol! Thanks Robert! I'll keep you in the loop. The brine smelled really good. The only thing I'm hoping it won't be. Is like the generic store bought Vlassic pickles.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Looks good Steve. I see some dill in the back, guess you’re making more?
Sorry. Missed your post. Thanks! The dill will be for pickled beans that I'm making tomorrow.

Brian Trommater

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
I have some pickling cucumbers right now that would work. You have a recipe for some spicy pickles? I not crazy about dill.

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
The pickling king strikes again! Looks great Steve I will have to look into the ball spice blend. Looks like it would save quite a bit of time.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I have some pickling cucumbers right now that would work. You have a recipe for some spicy pickles? I not crazy about dill.
I don't. I've added jalapenos to my pickles before to give them some heat. Works good too.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.