Korean short ribs using only walnut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motolife313

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2016
Tossed on couple pounds of ribs and then actually used some apple, plum oak as my kindling the only used walnut. It was really good. There was something different about the smokeyness for sure but not bitter at all like the rumor going around. The wood didn’t burn very hot so a good summer wood to use.
2BCAE5EE-CC68-4AE1-B973-42BF45A2EE0D.jpeg
8760568C-560B-4C8E-9DBA-8A7FC78E8686.jpeg
That’s the black walnut on top
A8B1D29B-D76E-48B8-A144-AC995044953C.jpeg
FBBA25BE-FEA8-4EF4-9AD5-085B1BF37C96.jpeg

Reactions: gmc2003 and tallbm
They were good. Had some today for lunch. Thanks

Nice work!
I've become a believer that as long as the smoke is managed properly then all of the "bitter" and too "strong" talk is a somewhat over exaggerated.

I have the luxury of using the AMNPS so I can't claim to be anything close to a smoke managing master, but I have also eaten plenty of Mesquite smoked brisket from stick burners in TX and it was fantastic!

I've also eaten Oak smoked brisket that was bitter and astringent due to miss-management of the smoke. If you've eaten oak smoked meat you know oak is a middle of the road smoke that is a kind of simpler smoke to mess with. Due to it being so available in TX and easier to manage (so I think), it is used more over mesquite. God knows we have no shortage of mesquite in this state and everyone is trying to get rid of it all the time so it is very available. I believe people tend to go the path of least resistance in TX and roll with the oak which is also highly available.

I'm rambling on this point just to back what I believe you are seeing that maybe walnut is not actually so bitter after all and maybe the smoke is is just miss managed some.

Btw, what smoker temp are you doing those ribs at and I'm assuming you are going by general look/feel on doneness since they are so thin?

Great post! :)

Nice shorties you've plated there Moto. I could sit down to a plate of those.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky