Korean Halupki Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
In the spirit of Bearcarver Bearcarver sharing his "Deerlupki” and to honor xray xray “Piggy Soup” I’ll share what I considered a tasty twist, inspired off of tx smoker tx smoker and his recent outstanding cook. I adapted a cabbage roll soup recipe I found online trying to use up ingredients we had in the home already and I am still a little obsessed with Gochujang paste used for Super bowl pork bites. I figured most of the Cabbage Roll soup is similar to Korean food and would work well with Gochujang and it was a success, giving another level of taste:

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 teaspoons Beef Tallow
  • 1 pound ground beef, I used 90% lean because that is what we had, but next time will follow Bear’s recommendation and mix with pork . . . maybe some sausage?
  • 1 onion finely diced
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 6 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
  • 3 carrots peeled, quartered and sliced
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 Tblspoons Gochujang paste
  • 8-10 small potatoes halved
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
Salt and cracked pepper to taste, Garnish with parsley

INSTRUCTIONS
  • Heat Tallow in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Cook, breaking up the meat with a spatula, until beef is browned.
  • Add the onion and garlic cook for 2-3 minutes.
  • Add the Gochujang paste, tomato sauce, and brown sugar to the pot and stir until fragrant.
  • Then add beef broth followed by cabbage, carrots, potatoes, bay leaf
  • Bring to a simmer and cook until potato is tender. Season with salt and cracked pepper to taste.
Not anything as beautiful and exotic as the amazing Deerlupki, Halupki, and pierogies we've been seeing the past few days, but simple and tasty for a quick meal! Man that Gochujang paste has me hooked! Thank you for all the inspiration!

Cabbage roll soup.jpg

cabbage close.jpeg

EDIT: I mentioned this was to use up some stuff, I randomly tossed in some sliced red pepper that was a day away from going bad.

Damn, that looks good! Very nice! Great way to use up ingredients in the house. TNJAKE TNJAKE has a great recipe posted somewhere for a brunswick stew that is another good one to use stuff up.

Reactions: bauchjw
I love it Jed!! This is something that will be made and I have your thread bookmarked. We eat a lot of cabbage around here and soup is a big thing of us in the winter, so all the ingredients are readily available.

I even keep Gochujang paste stocked in my refrigerator. I use it as an ingredient for beef and pork jerky, it comes out awesome.

Nicely done!!

Dude, I'll take a big bowl of that! Looks darn good!
Jim
Thank you Jim! Very straight forward, tasty stew!

Yes please!
Anytime Steve! You’re always welcome!

Damn, that looks good! Very nice! Great way to use up ingredients in the house. TNJAKE TNJAKE has a great recipe posted somewhere for a brunswick stew that is another good one to use stuff up.
Thank you! I used TNJAKE TNJAKE Brunswick recipe for a good stew back in fall!

I love it Jed!! This is something that will be made and I have your thread bookmarked. We eat a lot of cabbage around here and soup is a big thing of us in the winter, so all the ingredients are readily available.
I even keep Gochujang paste stocked in my refrigerator. I use it as an ingredient for beef and pork jerky, it comes out awesome.
Nicely done!!
Awesome! I hope you enjoy it! We love soups and stews in winter too. I was just talking to Brokenhandle Brokenhandle the other day about getting into beef jerky, too busy to learn curing right now, but can probably pull off a jerky. I’d love to try the Gochujang paste version of it!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks great! I’d devour a couple bowls for sure.
Thank you Jeff. I may try your Sazon in there next time and a 150% bullion too.I’ve never tried it before with a stew or soup and there is some amazing flavor.

Looks great Jed ! Have to have come cornbread for sopping up that juice !
And gotta try that paste now

Keith

That looks delicious Jed! I've read through this post about halfway several times and kept getting interrupted but finally made it all the way through! Gonna have to check out that gochujung paste.

Ryan

• Haha
Looks great Jed ! Have to have come cornbread for sopping up that juice !
And gotta try that paste now
Keith
Thank you Kieth! Yes, cornbread would be perfect! I used buttered slices from a loaf of dark rye I picked up at the farmers market. It was very comforting! Yes, I don’t know why I’m enjoying that paste so much lately? I think because it is a new flavor for me that isn’t so exotic that it completely changes other familiar tastes? There is a bit of heat to it, but it’s followed by a kind of sweet, smoky, salty, funky aftertaste that I’m digging a lot. Hope that makes some sense!?!🤣

That looks delicious Jed! I've read through this post about halfway several times and kept getting interrupted but finally made it all the way through! Gonna have to check out that gochujung paste.
Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Haha! I understand completely! It’s been a fun paste to play with! I already babbled my armature description to Kieth above so I won’t bore you!

That looks amazing. Recipe is going on file.
Thank you Sven! Those files get pretty full here!

Reactions: 912smoker
Looks yummy! All this cabbage lately I have to do some now.
Haha, I think March demands Cabbage! If we didn't have a calendar, I bet you could create a chart to determine what month it is based off of SMF recipe/cooking posts!

That Looks & Sounds Fantastic, Jed!!!
Nice Job & Great Thread!
Like.
Bear
Thank you Sir! Im going to get some Venison from my Pop to try your Deerlupki as soon as I can.

Haha, I think March demands Cabbage! If we didn't have a calendar, I bet you could create a chart to determine what month it is based off of SMF recipe/cooking posts!

Thank you Sir! Im going to get some Venison from my Pop to try your Deerlupki as soon as I can.

Great !! But you can use Beef & Pork with mine too.
And if you use my Deer recipe, don't forget my Venison is only 50%, with 25% Pork & 25% Beef.
I would never make anything with straight Venison. 🤮

Bear

• Haha
Great !! But you can use Beef & Pork with mine too.
And if you use my Deer recipe, don't forget my Venison is only 50%, with 25% Pork & 25% Beef.
I would never make anything with straight Venison. 🤮

Bear
Absolutely, I took note of your mix Bear. I think a good pork mix would have done a lot for this one too. Something to tinker with.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Nice thread and cook Jed, that looks phenomenal! I like the addition of the red pepper!

Also appreciate the recipe!

Simply outstanding Jed. I love your adaptation of another recipe and making a soup is nothing short of brilliant.....not to mention the fact that it looks amazing. Somehow I have a feeling that a number of folks will be stealing this, me for one :emoji_wink:

Robert

Nice thread and cook Jed, that looks phenomenal! I like the addition of the red pepper!
Also appreciate the recipe!
Thank you Justin! After trying Jeff's soup I think there is still a ways to go, but it was a solid start! I appreciate the compliment!

Simply outstanding Jed. I love your adaptation of another recipe and making a soup is nothing short of brilliant.....not to mention the fact that it looks amazing. Somehow I have a feeling that a number of folks will be stealing this, me for one :emoji_wink:
Robert
:emoji_laughing:Thank you Robert! There you go making me blush!! Hahaha, brilliant may be a bit of a stretch describing anything about me, except my kids! As Garrison Keillor would say "All the kids above average":emoji_laughing: But, I hope you get a chance to try it and enjoy it, there is so much to get after on this site, I need to retire to become a full time stay at home cook. i appreciate your time and compliments!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky