Korean bbq chicken and Kimchi pancakes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Having made several half gallon jars of kimchi I perused the net for some ideas. I came across kimchi pancakes and immediately started noodling a new dish. This is the results. First up some Korean chicken thighs. Here is the chicken in the marinade. Per lbs of meat 3T tamari (or soy) 1T lemon juice, 2T brown swerve , 1 T rice wine vinegar, 1T minced garlic, 1t fresh grated ginger and 1T dark sesame oil. Marinade a minimum two hours.
0B14AEBD-483E-4C46-B3B2-0689FB433858.jpeg
Shitake mushrooms sliced and mixed with a bundle of diced scallions. Tossed with some dark sesame oil and a little S&P. Didn’t catch a pic of them cooking but sautéed nice and dark in cast iron with avocado oil and a little more sesame.
E835F66F-8504-418D-90F7-6E749B285C83.jpeg
Made a keto batter of almond flour, egg, tamari, rice wine vinegar and about a cup and a half of my home fermented kimchi chopped fine. The keto kimchi pancake recipe online was awful so had to adjust on the fly. I’ll post this recipe once I nail it down. They taste great and the rich spicy kimchi really shines in them.
194C65EB-1069-4D07-82B3-1F1F1EE7A11A.jpeg
2D837314-4613-40BA-BA7C-BDB0B01F1550.jpeg
FAE4D74B-00A2-46AE-904F-A66B98CEC8BD.jpeg
D96D0C83-DBCF-4E2B-A682-08496F505017.jpeg
I whipped up a Korean bbq sauce using this as a base 1 and 1/2 cups Tamari
1/2 cup of water
1 3/4 cups Swerve Brown
4 TBSP minced garlic
3 TBSP rice vinegar
2 TBSP spicy chili garlic sauce
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp fresh grated ginger. I did use some xanthan to thicken after cooking it down by about 1/3. It does crystallize I’m the frig but you can just hear it up if it does. I also made a slaw using a Organic Ginger vinaigrette from Aldis with a mix of shaved Brussels sprite, kohlrabi, Napa cabbage, broccoli rabe and a little carrot for color. This was in frig overnight. Here it is all brought together.
A205E8F7-24FD-47DF-9AAA-B2F910EBA224.jpeg
Definitely a meal I will make again as I work to perfect those pancakes. Thanks for looking!

I normally would eat anything you cook without a thought, Jeff, but I think this one would require a taste. Definitely points for creativity and presentation, it does look pretty tasty.

Reactions: jcam222
I normally would eat anything you cook without a thought, Jeff, but I think this one would require a taste. Definitely points for creativity and presentation, it does look pretty tasty.
ThanksWhat would your reservation be on this one. Kimchi?

Looks good to me. That kimchi on my to do list. That chicken sounds awesome. Now that I have plenty pecans will be making my own pecan flour to use in place of almond. I just can't get a taste for that almond flour but I also do not like almonds. One of the few dislikes I have.

OK I going to order one of those jars. Probably could just drill a hole in mason jar lid but here I am up and can't sleep so on a ordering binge!

Last edited:
That looks real good Jeff, as always. Many layers of flavors and colors. We've been using Swerve recently, and it's mostly good. Great work.

I bet that chicken is fantastic . I'd eat the rest , but I really like chicken thighs done like that .
Nice work .

Whoa, a fantastic looking plate Jeff! I can't recall ever having tasted kimchi, but I'd sure love bellying up to that dish to give it a shot, nice piece of work! RAY

Beautiful meal and excellent post! I'm getting ready to write down that BBQ recipe.
I've never had Kimchi but I've seen it at the grocery. I'll pick up a jar next time just to see what it's all about.
Some ingredients I've never heard of. Swerve Brown? Tamari? I've heard of Xanthan but don't know what it is or where to get it.
I may hit one of the International markets near me and try to read the labels.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky