Koolaid Pickles.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I didnt cold smoke these this time.
Drain pickles (reserve the juice) I used sliced as they will pick up the liquid better.
kp1.jpg

You will need 2 packets of your fav koolaid and 3 T sugar. You can add more if you like.
kp.jpg

kp2.jpg

Next mix the koolaid and sugar to the reserved pickle liquid.
kp5.jpg

Place pickles back in jar.
kp4.jpg

Pour kooljuice back in jar to cover pickles.
kp6.jpg

Lid back on and fridge for 5 days.

NOM NOM

Reactions: BDASPNY
But...why?!

Please don't be offended, but is this an American thing to do? A regional thing? A crazy thing?
Do the pickles taste sweet afterwards?

I'm sort of intrigued and horrified all at the same time.

Really?

Why?
Where do you want me to start?

America South 100%
Regional to the Southern states of the USA

Crazy?
Depends on who ya ask....lol

Yes they will bed red and sour/sweet

Really?

Why?
Where do you want me to start?

America South 100%
Regional to the Southern states of the USA

Crazy?
Depends on who ya ask....lol

Yes they will bed red and sour/sweet

LOL, I'm always willing to try something new, but I don't think I'm willing to actually do this myself. I'll wait until I get invited to a southern smoke out :)

Reactions: BDASPNY and ofelles
They have an interesting flavor, but they surprisingly are actually pretty tasty. It's dirt cheap to make, grab a cheap jar of dills and a packet of koolaid and go to town!

But...why?!

Please don't be offended, but is this an American thing to do? A regional thing? A crazy thing?
Do the pickles taste sweet afterwards?

I'm sort of intrigued and horrified all at the same time.

Feel like you somewhat on this one. Kind of intrigued and horrified at the same time. Once I read it I figured it must be a southern thing. Don't ever remember hearing about it before now though. Sounds inexpensive enough to try though.

I am going to do this and sub out the Koolaid and sugar for Crystal Light. I am always up to try something new. I think I will also add some pickled jalapenos to the mix.

Wow they still sell Kool-aid. I haven't had that since the 70's.

Chris

Sounds a little Strange, but if Rick says it's good I'm willing to give it a Try!!

Thanks Rick!

Bear

Thanks y'all

I made them a few times, smoked the pickles once before adding the liquid back, pretty good.

Yeah koolaid packs are like 24 cents now. I remember when they were a nickel.

Reactions: BDASPNY
I haven't tried them yet. They do sound a bit bizarre. But I felt the same way when I first heard of deep fried pickles. After trying them I get them occasionally if I see them on a menu. I'll be giving the kool-aid pickles a try one day.

I haven't tried them yet. They do sound a bit bizarre. But I felt the same way when I first heard of deep fried pickles. After trying them I get them occasionally if I see them on a menu. I'll be giving the kool-aid pickles a try one day.

Deep fried pickles, or Frickles are incredible Steve. You should make a batch one day. WAY better than any restaurant.

Reactions: BDASPNY and chopsaw
I might do that. You know of a decent recipe?

FRICKLES - FRIED PICKLES
1 bottle hamburger dill slices
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1 teaspoon BBQ rub
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup beer

Drain the pickles, and reserve the juice (it makes a great chicken brine). Combine beer and mustard in one bowl. Do the same with the flour, cornmeal, and rub in another. Dip pickles into beer/mustard slurry, and then into the cornmeal, flour, and rub mix. Shake off the excess and fry in 375 deg oil until golden.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky