Kippers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooker613

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
Arizona
I’m ordering an amazn smoker for my son for his birthday and figured I might as well get one for myself. Now I want to make kippers. Has anyone tried? I’ve eaten them in Britain and they were fantastic. I know they are cured and cold smoked herrings, but have no idea how to make them. Any recipes, thoughts, guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

No. But you have my attention and in for the ride! Very interested in what may come by way of answers as well.

Kippers are brined in a heavily salted water solution for about a 1/2 hr. then rinsed and dried. Let them sit in the refrigerator overnight and cold smoked the next day for up to 4 to 6hrs I wouldn't go any longer. They will still need to be cooked after. This can be done in a smoker, frying pan, or oven. Smoker is probably the best. Oak is the best wood. Also fatty herring make the best kippers.

Chris

Kippers are brined in a heavily salted water solution for about a 1/2 hr. then rinsed and dried. Let them sit in the refrigerator overnight and cold smoked the next day for up to 4 to 6hrs I wouldn't go any longer. They will still need to be cooked after. This can be done in a smoker, frying pan, or oven. Smoker is probably the best. Oak is the best wood. Also fatty herring make the best kippers.

Chris
Thanks a million. That was just the info I was looking for. Of course now I have to find fat fresh herrings in Arizona. Oy! I wonder if trout might work, huummmmm.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky