• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Kingsford hardwood charcoal

negolien

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 1, 2020
Hey All

I have used this twice..first time I mixed some applewood with it. Secondly time charcoal only. I noticed the heavy taste of the wood in it this last time.

Issue is this..about 25 years ago our apt burnt down. I will never ever forget the smell. Including a couple animals of ours and the neighbors.

The kingsford leaves the taste that almost exactly matches the smell of that fire to me. Has anyone tried this charcoal?

WildewoodBBQ

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 3, 2020
Dude I’m sorry to hear about that awful life experience..

I just use the regular charcoal, or this brown bag of lump hardwood charcoal, not kingsford. I wouldn’t be able to use that charcoal

negolien

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 1, 2020
Yeah sucks no way to control the flavor unless I dump my vertical hopper and mix that charcoal with some regular royal oak lump. Wonder what Kinda hardwood they use in that.

noboundaries

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Kingsford's origin a hundred years ago was to find a sellable use for scrap hardwood from building automobiles. No wood in autos today, but there is a LOT of scrap hardwood from the furniture industry. Not too hard to connect the dots, though it is pure speculation on my part.

Try a bag of Royal Oak (briquettes or lump) and compare.

Use the Kingsford in your grill at full burn high heat so the volatiles burn off cleanly.

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
I have used it for years without any problems, how do you light your charcoal?

pushok2018

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
I use Kingsford charcoal regularly on my grill only. Never had any issue with this brand....

Last edited:

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.