kinda out of my element got talked into smoking a 24.21 lb turkey on mt MES 40"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lal357

Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
alabama
ok got talked into smoking a 24 lb turkey (friend tried one at thanksgiving and it was so dry they threw it out) never did one i dont want to brine it since i always inject them with a creole butter sauce and mustard the outside usually put it on my grill with indirect heat ) 

at what temp should it be cooking at going to use a mix of hickory and alder wood pellets . and about how long should it cook for (i wont be pulling it until internal temp hits 165 degrees.

For the size of the bird you will want your smoker at 325-350. If your smoker can't go that high you will want to half or spatchcock the bird. Whole you'll never be able to get the bird through the 40-140 rule.

Your friends bird was dry because they overcooked it and didn't pay attention to the internal temperature.

Reactions: brownsugar
You will have to cut it in half, spatchcocked will be way too big for the MES. Smoke at 250 and figure 20 minutes per pound based on what a half weighs about 12 pounds. If you want crisp skin, pull when the IT hits 150 then go in a 425 Oven until the it hits 160. Rest and serve...JJ

Last edited:
thanks for the replies looks like i'll be going with chef jimmy's way (i've done chicken this way ) was already thinking 225 for 30 min per lb = 12 hours

Last edited:
Don't forget, your timing is based on half the weight. 12 pond halves = 6 hours?...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky