Killer IP Split Pea Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Burly567

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 29, 2019
Grand Junction, Colorado
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup has lots of flavor, and is a comforting, warm hug in a bowl! With ham, onion, garlic and thyme. You can also make this vegetarian or vegan.

Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbsp Butter
  • 1 Onion, diced
  • 3 Stalks of Celery, diced
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • 1/4 tsp Thyme Leaves, dried
  • 3 Carrots, chopped
  • 4 cloves Garlic, pressed or finely minced
  • 1/4 tsp Pepper
  • 6 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth low sodium (use only 5 cups for a thick soup, 7 cups for a thinner soup)
  • 1 lb Green Split Peas, rinsed and sorted (unsoaked)
  • 1 tsp Liquid Smoke (Optional) for vegetarian version
  • 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt (add last, after cooking, if needed) (1/4 tsp table salt)
instant-pot-split-pea-soup.jpg

Use any of these for your meat (or a combination of them)
  • 6 slices Bacon (Optional) chopped
  • 2 small Ham Hocks (Optional) Not very meaty, but add a nice smoky flavor and richness. (We use the Smoked Ham Hocks!!!)
  • 1 Leftover Ham Bone (Optional) I like to use this with the diced ham
  • 2 - 3 cups Diced Leftover Ham (Optional)
Instructions
  1. Turn the pressure cooker on to the Sauté function. Let it warm up and add the olive oil and butter.
  2. Add the onion, celery, bay leaves, and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion starts to turn translucent.
  3. Add the carrots, garlic, bacon or ham, if using, and pepper. Cook for a minute.
  4. Add the broth and ham bone or ham hocks, if using (Add liquid smoke, if using, for vegetarian method). Let come to a simmer.
  5. Stir in the split peas.

6. Place the lid on the pot and lock it in place. Set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
  7. Cancel the sauté function and Choose Pressure Cook/Manual, and use the + or - or dial to choose 18 minutes. High pressure. It will take a few minutes for the pot to come to pressure.
  8. When the cooking time has finished, let the pot sit undisturbed for 15 minutes to naturally release some of the pressure. Then turn the steam release knob to Venting to quick release the remaining pressure.
  9. When the pin in the lid drops down, carefully open the lid, facing away from you. Remove the bay leaves and ham hocks, pull meat from bone and add back into soup. discard the bone.
  10. Serve hot with warm buttered biscuits. The soup will thicken quite a bit when it cools, that is normal

If you want a Vegetarian or Vegan soup, omit the butter (for vegan), use vegetable broth, and try some liquid smoke to give the soup a nice smoky hint of flavor.

Last edited:
Looks great Burly, We save our double smoked ham bones for pea soup.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks delicious!
We do split pea soup in our crock pot.
It is a big favorite around here. We eat vegetarian 5-6 days a week.
Al

It is killer. That's really close to the recipe I use. I was gonna post it up last week with the slew of soup threads, but I stopped taking pictures after I diced up the onion.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
We do a split pea soup after holiday hams. Yours looks and sounds great! I’m gonna change course and do this in the IP.

Excellent job!

Haha! I just threw our leftover ham into our Instapot along with some yellow peas and chicken broth. Not as fancy as your recipe but still tasty. I’m a huge fan of pea soup although it gives me the vapors. A078BC51-1DB7-4E32-A139-E3FB42D92C96.jpeg

I have to say I love my IP. I did beans and ham from dry yesterday. I set a 6 hr delay start before work, add in my ingredients with the pressure cook setting hi 45 minutes....... keep warm after that.

Just wanted to say I followed your IP recipe for the split pea soup, and it sure is good! It's definitely a keeper.
IMG_9935.jpg

Just finished making it for us to have for dinners for a few days...but I couldn't resist a little taste. Thanks again for the recipe Burly567 Burly567
IMG_9936.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky