Kielbasa .....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
OK, my first kielbasa....... got the spices from a member..... Made from all ground chuck... no extra added fat...
This stuff is really good.... now I have 2 favorites.... Andouille and Joe's Kielbasa..... I made 2#'s as Bride wanted GB....
I ground 25#'s of chuck and all she would spare is 2#'s.... Should have made 25#'s....... Time to look for more chuck on sale...

Last edited:
drool.gif
 Well done!

Thanks for the compliments...... It looks smokey but.... Pitmaster's Choice hasn't overpowered anything I've smoked.... Bride did think 36 hours on the bacon was a bit much but I didn't....

I can't put it down..... that's the best smoked sausage I have ever eaten.....

Last edited:
Thanks Brian and Darwin.....

Ahron, morning.... It's a complex, "I don't know what that is" flavor... "but I want more".... thing.... I had some in the frying pan and is was just so-so.... but after the smoker a totally different animal.... I added 2 1/2% jalapenos and 2% garlic to the spice mix....

Dave

Last edited:
If your Joe's Kielbasa spice mix is from boykjo, I'm not surprised it is the best sausage you've ever had! His sausage posts are amazing.

Your smoked kielbasa looks great! What % of fat did your ground chuck have?

After I made smoked kielbasa, somebody on the forum suggested making SolarYellow's pork shots if there was any leftover kielbasa. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but there are lots of glowing comments on it and I'm planning to try it sometime. It doesn't sound like you'll have any leftover kielbasa either, but if you do you might be interested in this post. Just the title makes it worth a look!
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...pork-caramel-candy-the-ultimate-panty-dropper

Thanks for sharing, Dave! Have a great day!
Clarissa

If your Joe's Kielbasa spice mix is from boykjo, I'm not surprised it is the best sausage you've ever had! His sausage posts are amazing.

Your smoked kielbasa looks great! What % of fat did your ground chuck have?

I didn't add any fat.... In fact I trimmed all the "outer" fat on the roasts as it looked funky.... I buy all the roasts/steaks they mark down 30-50% in the "Butchers Special on Sale" day old bin... vac-pack and freeze until I get enough to run a batch.. I had 6 packs to grind...

After I made smoked kielbasa, somebody on the forum suggested making SolarYellow's pork shots if there was any leftover kielbasa. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but there are lots of glowing comments on it and I'm planning to try it sometime. It doesn't sound like you'll have any leftover kielbasa either, but if you do you might be interested in this post. Just the title makes it worth a look!

I've made Joel's Kielbasa Shots and they are very good.... Joe's Kielbasa is sooooooo good, I'm afraid to adulterate it.... With the garlic and Jalp addition it is AWESOME... Lip smacking good plain.... Can't put it in the refer, leave it on the counter and keep going back to cut off a few slices good.... I did vac-pack some so it will be there for the Hawks game...maybe..

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...pork-caramel-candy-the-ultimate-panty-dropper

Thanks for sharing, Dave! Have a great day!
Clarissa

You are welcome.... we do have to share all the great stuff we smoke... Joe needs to sell this stuff in 50# batch packs.... I do not know how the stuff in the store can be called Kielbasa.... My butcher guy said he would sell me a primal whole front quarter chuck for about $2.80 #.. I would make most of it into Kielbasa... save the prime steaks and ribs is about all....

Last minute smoke going on today. I have some fully cooked kielbasa and just need to know what temp my smoker should be at and a time frame. I know Im pretty much just heating it but don't want to do so for to long. Thank you

Dang why am I always late to the party?

Looks really good Dave, Top rate, jam-up job!

Now Dave don't hold back or candy coat it, tell us, do you really like the kielbasa? <chuckles> I don't remember seeing Dave so excited before. Must be good stuff.

Guess I need to move it up on the list!

Last minute smoke going on today. I have some fully cooked kielbasa and just need to know what temp my smoker should be at and a time frame. I know Im pretty much just heating it but don't want to do so for to long. Thank you

you can simmer in beer or water at 160-170 ish degrees... probably takes 20-30 minutes to reheat... if it ain't frozen... or steam...

Looks great Dave, Do you always make it with beef? or is that the secret to Joes recipe? I always use pork.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky