Kielbasa, My First Effort

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by disco, Feb 14, 2015.

1. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I decided to try kielbasa. A friend of mine's family makes it but they don't cure or smoke it. They mix the meats and poach it and eat it immediately. I adjusted the recipe to use cure and to smoke it.

Here is the recipe I used:

667 grams (1 1/2 pounds) pork shoulder

333 grams (1/2 pound) lean beef

4 cloves garlic

5 ml (1 teaspoon) kosher salt

5 ml (1 teaspoon) fine grind black pepper.

5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried marjoram

2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) Prague powder 1

100 ml (1/2 cup) ice water

50 ml (1/4) cup dry skim milk powder

I ground the meat with the large plate in my Kitchen Aid.

I chopped the garlic fine and mixed the remaining ingredients into a slurry.

I mixed the slurry thoroughly into the meat.

I stuffed it into hog casings in about 12 inch links.

I let them sit in the fridge overnight. Then I hung them for a couple of hours to get totally dry.

I put a probe in one and cold smoked them in the Bradley for 2 hours over pecan. Then I turned the heat up to 180 F for another 2 hours.

The internal temperature was about 130 F and I took it out and finished it by poaching it until the internal temperature hit 165 F and then plunged it in ice water. It only took minutes to get to temperature.

I let it hang for a couple of hours.

Here is the finished product.

The Verdict

This is way better than the store product. It has a nice chew and a good garlic flavour. However, I will still try other recipes as I believe I can do better. I will enjoy this first effort though and I have already eaten a lot of it.

Disco

seenred, gary s, c farmer and 3 others like this.
  2. [​IMG]

I have to say that is some fine sausage. I can almost smell the garlic from hear. We do have a cold front coming in from the north [​IMG].

Happy smoken.

David

3. reinhard

reinhard Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks great!!! Kielbasa is my favorite sausage [but everything else is a close second LOL].  Great work on that sausage!!!  Reinhard

4. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

D, Nice looking kielbasa!

5. java

java Smoking Fanatic

nice job Disco, its gettinr to be time to make more, as our freezer is about emty.

6. disco

Thanks, David. It isn't a cold front coming from here. We have been so warm there is practically no snow left. I am worried about my garlic coming up too early!
    Thanks, Reinhard. I have to admit, Andouille is my favourite but I won't ever turn down kielbasa.

Disco

7. disco

Thanks, CM. It was tasty too.
    An empty freezer? Don't let it happen, sir!

Disco

8. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Perfect timing Disco.

I am wanting some kielbasa.

That looks awesome. Gonna have to try this recipe, so I have something to start with.

:points: for a great thread.

9. inkjunkie

inkjunkie Master of the Pit

On "The List" of things I want to make

10. disco

Thanks, Adam. I am afraid I am a sausage junkie. The point is appreciated!
    Thanks, inkjunkie. If your list is like mine, it is getting awfully long!

Disco

11. inkjunkie

inkjunkie Master of the Pit

The list grows longer almost daily now...We have been experimenting with some Chorizo recipes, yours is coming up here shortly. With The Boss being allergic to eggs we have to limit ourselves to how frequently we have Chorizo.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  12. szynka

szynka Fire Starter

"kielbasa" is the Polish word for "sausage".  So this the first time you made sausage?

13. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Wow I can't believe how much good food I missed, yesterday because I worked a flea market. I always made mine with just pork will try the beef mix.

14. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

Great looking kielbasa Disco! You are becoming one of the great sausage makers here with all the sausage you keep making!! Thanks for sharing.

15. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

Douche!

16. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great Looking kielbasa disco.... I especially like the amount of garlic added...

17. disco

Har! Nope, I have made a sausage or two. This is just the first time I applied effort.
    When I started researching this, I was amazed by all the different recipes. I went with this one because it was a family recipe from a Polish family. I was thinking of trying a 100% pork version!
    Nope, just a sausage maker. I will never be the pro some of the members are. Thanks for the kind words though.

Disco

18. disco

Ah Brooksy, be generous of spirit. I love laughing at myself. There is so much material to work with!
    Well, She Who Must Be Obeyed did mention the amount of garlic but it is a garlic sausage and it was the amount my friend's family uses. Thanks, David.

Disco

19. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice thread Disco, this I have to try ! Looks awesome ! Thumbs Up

20. tigerregis

tigerregis Meat Mopper

Great looking eats.Check your metrics.Half pound should be 284g.