Keep the music playing... What/Who Was Your First Concert ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
As the title is asking... Who/Where/Year was your first live concert...
With/Without Parents ??

My first was
REO Speedwagon and Rainbow
Rochester War Memorial
1977 or 78
No Parents ...

I found This and started searcing through the archives... WOW.. Some of the concerts back then...

First Concert at age 10, my older Brother took me to see Sha Na Na in Central Park NY.
Some stranger next to me tried to pass me a joint, lol.

Reactions: Jonok and bauchjw
First was Men at Work in 1985, 15 yrs old, opening band was the best. Guy came out in a stetson hat with feathers/tasles hanging, guitar in hand, they put a blue light on his face, and he played like that for 1 hr straight. Blew my mind, found out a little later it was Stevie Ray Vaughn😳😃. Changed my musical tastes in 1 hr for the rest of my life.

Corey

in 78 my sister, who was 16, wanted to go see The Grateful Dead with her boyfriend and my parents made her take me. We got into the show and she told me to get lost because she wanted nothign to do with me. Not really my style but it was the time I got drunk. I was 12. One of the local radio station DJs had spiked watermelon and gave me a butt load.
First show I saw on my own accord was Aerosmith.

Elton John in Seattle, 1980.
Kinda funny story to go with that. I went with my best friend, and he was a bit of a poser in those days. We were 19, but he had been drinking Seagram's 7 & diet 7-up beforehand (I abstained), then started smoking a Swisher-Sweet. (You could still smoke in auditoriums back then.)
About halfway thru the concert he starts to turn green, and unfortunately for the huge guy sitting in front of us who was wearing a hoodie, he proceeded to fill the hoodie with, well, you know. The guy screams and jumps up, spinning around with his fists clenched, which flung some of the ejecta onto his girlfriend. She screams, and when the boyfriend turned back to his girl, I grabbed my buddy by the shirt collar and beat feet out of there, so we only saw half of the concert. He still claims I saved his life that night. I dunno, maybe. But I still feel bad for that guy and his girlfriend.

Last edited:
Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Boulder Co. 1976.

Hard to believe you can find this stuff on the net after all these years.
Saw Bob Marley in 1978 and the whole show is available on video. Trip!

Reactions: bauchjw
Tammy Wynette in about 1976. It was a dinner show at the Ranchman's Bar in Calgary, Alberta. I had just moved to Calgary from Sask. The show cost a whopping $20 and I thought long and hard about it before I bought a ticket. $20 was a LOT of money to a Stubble Jumper like me back then.
Worth every penny.
1666627734185.png

Gary

Last edited:
Ray, you sure you didn't mean "Prince" in San Francisco?

That's where it all started John. We used to see the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver, and Steve Miller bands for free concerts in Golden Gate Park, and then all the guys from Tennessee drove up and moved into the Castro District. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky