Kamado Joe classic charcoal basket issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

selli

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Petaluma, Ca
I recently purchase a KJ classic charcoal basket and found that it is nice for organizing your charcoal but because of its structure, it makes it difficult or impossible to set cooking grills on lower settings close to the fire. The hooks at the top prevent me from placing my grills at different levels. Therefore the basket eliminates using the the KJ to its maximum benefits. am I missing something or is this a flaw in the construction of the charcoal basket?

selli selli , did you get this figured out. I am interested in one of those baskets also. Or maybe the Kick Ash basket.

I recently purchase a KJ classic charcoal basket and found that it is nice for organizing your charcoal but because of its structure, it makes it difficult or impossible to set cooking grills on lower settings close to the fire. The hooks at the top prevent me from placing my grills at different levels. Therefore the basket eliminates using the the KJ to its maximum benefits. am I missing something or is this a flaw in the construction of the charcoal basket?
Yes I did finally get it to work after seeing a video of how it was placed in a KJ classic. I can’t speak for the kick ash but this one is functional and is useful for placing charcoal

Thanks for the reply selli selli , I appreciate it. Glad you got it resolved.
What I can tell both units are very high quality. Not convinced that I need the divider but I could be persuaded by knowledgeable folks.
Hint, hint.

Thanks for the reply selli selli , I appreciate it. Glad you got it resolved.
What I can tell both units are very high quality. Not convinced that I need the divider but I could be persuaded by knowledgeable folks.
Hint, hint.
I actually like the divider for among other things starting the fire. Putting new charcoal on one side and used charcoal that is still useable on the other side. When new charcoal ignites, I can put it on the bottom and the used charcoal on top. Also useful if you use divide for searing and want one side to be hotter than the other.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky