Kamado Joe Classic 1 vs new version Classic 2 help please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wklkjn

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 29, 2016
Bolivar, Ohio
Hello everyone!
I've got a Camp Chef pellet smoker that I've used now for a few years. Nice machine, I like it.
My son is 'raving' about the Kamado Green Egg charcoal grill his friend bought. So, I did some research, and I know you will agree with me that there's nothing wrong with having more than one grill, right? :)

Ok, so here's the deal. Today, while browsing prices, I found a very good deal for a Kamado Joe Classic grill. It's the original Classic (1) model. We have a hardware store chain in our area that's got it listed on their website for $699 - regular price is $1,000. The new, Classic 2 is selling for $1,100.

So, for comparison reasons, this sale price on the old (brand new) model is $500 less than the new model. I researched the differences and it seems like there's 3 things different.
The Classic 2 (new model) has a different seal on the clamshell - the original model is a felt seal. The new model also has a different vent cap, and the hinge allows for easier opening / lifting of the lid.

Does anyone have an opinion on these differences and if it's worth spending the extra money? I really like the price point of $699 verses $1,100.

Thanks!

I’d be all in on the classic. You can upgrade the seal and probably even vent cap IF you needed to. I have a Vision Kamado and for grilling I LOVE it. I’m not a fan of them for smoking as I prefer my vertical cabinet for that.

Man you just missed it. Amazon had the Classic II on a one day sale for $900 yesterday. For me I don't think the upgrades from the I to the II are worth $400. I would get the Classic I for $699 and not worry about the II. I think a pellet grill and a Kamado Joe are the perfect combination setup to cook anything you would want. I just added a Timberline 1300 to my Big Joe and Akorn Jr. and I have been very impressed with it.

Reactions: SlowmotionQue
I have the Big Joe, and having had a torn rotator, the counter balanced hinge on the lid is worth every penny. But that’s just my damaged old joints speaking. I use mine for smoking and have been more than pleased. The ability to maintain constant temps is what I really like. Get one, you’ll love it

Man you just missed it. Amazon had the Classic II on a one day sale for $900 yesterday. For me I don't think the upgrades from the I to the II are worth $400. I would get the Classic I for $699 and not worry about the II. I think a pellet grill and a Kamado Joe are the perfect combination setup to cook anything you would want. I just added a Timberline 1300 to my Big Joe and Akorn Jr. and I have been very impressed with it.

I know that you said this a long time ago retfr8flyr. But you are spot on and I could not agree more.

Reactions: retfr8flyr
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky