Kamado Fuel Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jake Harris

Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
Athens, AL
Curious what charcoal brand some of you use in your kamado? Unfortunately, the best I can do around here without a long drive or ordering online is Cowboy lump. It seems to do pretty good but has lots of small pieces and the occasional rock. Any recommendations on where to order would be appreciated.

I have been using the Kamado Joe lump charcoal. I get mine delivered from Amazon. I haven't yet tried any other, so I can't help on that end, but I find the KJ works well for me and not a lot of distorted flavoring that I hear others experience from some brands

I like the KJ Big Block, which you can get through Lowes as well as Amazon but my favorite is Fogo. I get the Fogo direct from them with free shipping. It's not the cheapest but it is the best I have found. I use it for long low and slow cooks and just use Royal Oak for the high heat cooks.

Reactions: Wood Chunk Chick
I use KJ Big Block in my Joe Jr since I get it for free! My SIL works at a distribution warehouse that ships Kamado Joe's to the Western U.S. They often get torn bags of KJ Lump that are torn when they come off the truck or get returned from the outlets. The K J Company tells them to just toss it because it's not worth the shipping to send it back to HQ.

Reactions: Walchit
Royal Oak as well for most cooks. For Turkey or very neutral smoke try Rockwood. Can buy from his website or many Ace hardware store carry it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky