Kamado Style: Smoking Entirely with Wood Chunks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

okyoureabeast

Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
Hey friends, I have a question. I own a vision grill (kamado style) smoker. It does its job well. I also have a bunch of post oak chunks that are dry.

I've seen on offset smokers that you light some charcoal in a chimney, lay it down, throw a bunch of wood chunks on top, and then let it get to " blue smoke" before adding food.

I was wondering, could I do something similar on a kamado style grill? Ignite a bunch of charcoal in a chimney, lay down a bed of hot coals, add a bunch of smoking wood, wait for blue smoke, and then add food?

Traditionally I ignite some lump charcoal and then add a few chunks of smoking wood. This works well enough, but i've always been disappointed that I can only get my smoker to last for 12 hours before the fuel gives out. I use royal oak as my lump of choice.

Thoughts?

I think your asking for trouble trying to go all wood chunks... The reason they get away with it in offsets is because you let the wood flame up... It will only smolder in your smoker creating to much not so good smoke... especially after the coals burn out...

Reactions: babydocsmoker
There are many options better than to just throwing chunks on and saying a prayer. Wrapping in foil with a few slits or into a smoke pot or using dry wood in smaller portions spread throughout. Whatever you do is by exercise and retention

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky