Just starting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke cloud

Original poster
Hey all ..... Always wanted to be a good BBQ and smoker cook just never seemed to be inspired enough to really dig in and learn how to really do it right. I worked construction for 27 years and heard a lot of debate on BBQ and smoking meat. But I continued to torture and burn a lot of meat before I finally decided that I got to get serious about this. Now in my 60s I better get to work if I want my family to talk about what a good meat smoker grampa is.
439.gif

I was at a gathering recently and visited with some seriously dedicated meat smokers and they gave me the fever, big time. So I thought I'd better join a forum, learn from some experienced folks, and start gleaning information that I could put to use during the Holidays.

I'm going to fabricate myself and Ugly Drum Smoker and try to produce some lip smackin' meat for the family gatherings and Holidays. I can't wait to get started.. 

Plus....... I want to show my brother in law that he may not be the cook master he thinks he is.....I know... shame on me.
biggrin.gif

Keep your eyes open for a new smoke cloud about 30 miles north of Springfield, Mo.... Cheers ... Bill

Bill, morning and welcome to the forum..... You found the right forum for friendly, knowledgeable folks willing to help and share their recipes and tricks to help make you the best smoker in the family.... BIL will be asking for your tricks and recipes before too long....  This forum can become addicting so relax and enjoy the long smokey ride....  Dave

Welcome , Bill. You've found the best forum on the net... no "high than thou" . Everyone here is a person and we communicate like old friends.
beercheer.gif

So, jump in and start thinking of you plans , the holidays are upon us and you need to practice.
biggrin.gif

Practice , practice , practice... show -up your BIL and tease him , don't reveal your forum for a while ; let him stew , I'm sure the Wife will get a Hoot out of it and you have bragging rights since you have more experience.
icon14.gif

ROTF.gif

Have fun and send Q-view of your equip and food(from prep. to finish , if you can.) Get the G-kids involved , my 8yr. old G-son is a BBQ nut. Loves it and wants to learn.
439.gif
This pleases Pawpaw greatly.

Have fun and...

Howdy, Bill !!

:welcome1: to SMF !

In addition to your UDS build, you might want to take a look at the mini-WSM build threads here. Requires a Weber Smokey Joe grill (the 14.5" one) and a tamale steamer and a few racks. Should be able to do the whole thing for under $60.

I haven't done a UDS (yet) but the mini-WSM has done some great smokes for me.

Hello Bill and 
welcome1.gif
to SMF - Glad you joined us 

Please do us a favor and update your profile with your location 

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm loving this forum already, and the info seems endless. 

Went to town today, swung by Academy Sports, and picked up a bunch of stuff for the UDS build and I'm really getting pumped .......

My Brother in law has no idea that his days of "self imposed" glory are numbered...... 
ROTF.gif

I'll check out the WSM build also thanks.... 

Hi Bill! 
welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

Just a quick update .... Finally got my UDS smoker almost finished.( I'll post some pictures when it is done.) But wanted to say last night on my second test burn to season the inside of the barrel and check the thermometer, I decided to throw on 3 wings I had in the fridge. Washed 'em, patted dry, put on some rub, and smoked low and slow and steady with lump charcoal at 225 for a little over 2 1/2 hrs. Internal temp of meat 170 degrees....... The smoker works like a champ and the wings looked like a picture in a magazine. Gave them to my wife ( who is a wing lover ) to sample and held my breath .......... To my amazement, she completely inhaled them and raved about how great they were and wanted more.

So .... it looks like things are coming together and my wife is thinking her brother is really going to be in on a run for his money as the Family Smoker King .
yahoo.gif
   I am totally shocked that after all these years, I actually served up some smoked meat that wasn't tortured, tough, or burned.

Just got a little more fabricating to do on incorporating the lines from the two rear lower air inlets into one vertical two inch pipe with a damper that I can control without having to bend over and then I'll post some pictures when the beast is all finished.

I am sooooooooo glad I found this forum .....

Hey honey .......... do you mind telling me again just how good those wings were ? 
sausage.gif
      BWAAHAHAHAHAH !!!

I did some more wings and they were great. Smoked my first ribs yesterday and they got raves...... I have been using a rub my Brother in law gave me a year ago and took time today to read the ingredients and found it contained Monosodium Glutemate. No wonder that brand has so much recognition of placing in big events....... MSG will make anything, including cardboard, taste good but it is very bad for you. Do most rubs you buy have MSG in them ? I gotta find something else ..... BJ

Here's the ribs .....I was amazed ..... My wife said her Brother has never turned out any this good .
devil.gif

Last edited:
Welcome Smoke cloud!

What is the rub component that has Monosodium Glutemate? Is it added pure to it?

I do not think the rubs have to have that but then again I could be wrong, -I am a biginner-.

The rub I use does not have that.

I speak smoke but my words don't go up in it.

Welcome Smoke cloud!

What is the rub component that has Monosodium Glutemate? Is it added pure to it?

I do not think the rubs have to have that but then again I could be wrong, -I am a biginner-.

The rub I use does not have that.

I speak smoke but my words don't go up in it.
 I think MSG is probably in 90% of all the rubs you buy over the counter.  I have found out that companies can now hide the fact that they have added MSG as an ingredient by putting in the word Spices and then listing " Some " of the spices and by giving MSG other names. I'm not trying to trash some company's product, but I will be making my own rubs and sauces from now on. If you want a real education on MSG just search the web under MSG Health. The rub you use might just have it added under another name ......  Here's one site that gives the other alias names given to this unhealthy, brain cell killing stuff that makes things taste so good. http://www.naturalnews.com/034272_MSG_monosodium_glutamate.html         I killed enough brain cells in the 60's and 70's and now I'm guarding what few I have left ...... BJ

Quote ...[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I just dont buy into the great MSG scare...[/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]OK by me fpnmf....... I'm not trying to start a movement.... I'm just answering isosa's question.... BJ [/color]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky