Just Starting Out

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daddio111

Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
I love to BBQ and about to buy my first electric smoker. From everything I've read, I am leaning toward the Masterbuilt 20070311 40 in smoker. Does anyone have experience with this smoker? Good/bad or otherwise? I am also looking at the MB universal smoker stand. What I've read says it fits, but can anyone confirm that? I'd also like to get some ideas on what I should buy initially to get started smoking some awesome meats! Just signed up for the 5 day course so maybe it will be in there. Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to the group. I would say one of the most important things to have when starting out are thermometers. Several,a nice instant read for quick checks, a wireless (or two)for hose long low and slow, wait outs, maybe an oven thermometer for placing close to your meat, im a big proponent of knowing grate level temp when i smoke. Some nice food safe silicone high temp gloves, that go up your arm far enough to keep the meat goodness off your new clothes, my wife hates that. Jeffs book smoking meats, the essential guide is a good read to, great tips and best part is your can access it even if your internets out. The most important thing to have is patience though, and alot of it. Smoking is something you can do for a million years and not know it all, everyday you will learn something new, every smoke is different. Take your time because smokin ain't easy....but it sure is fun.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky