Just started my 2 butts for tomorrow tailgate. Excited and nervous (q-view)

Discussion in 'Pork' started by chorizodahitman, Oct 14, 2011.

1. So I decided to smoke both butts, and I went with a dry rub (mustard and Gates BBQ Spicy rub) and a salt and pepper base and marinade (BW's Caribbean Jerk sauce).  I prepped everything last night to let the butts absorb the spices and sauce.  They set from 7 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. the next day.  I put the butts in the smoker at 1:45 p.m. and I am using a mixture of cherry and mesquite for the smoke. Apple juice and water is going in my pan, and I made a mixture of apple juice and Captain Morgan's for my spray.  I am planning on keeping it going all night and pulling them off tomorrow morning.  I do have a question, what kind of meat thermometer do I use?  And do I put them in the butts now?  Thanks for the help everyone this week.  I will keep the pics coming.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

looks like a good start.

As for the thermometer I have a maverick ET 732 and a handheld instant read. I dont prob until after 3 hours. If my math is correct you should be ready to pull these out of the smoker between 2-5am. Just double wrap in foil then put in a cooler and wrap in towels until you need to pull it. Should keep above 140 degrees for 5 hours or so. If needed you can put then in the oven at 200 once done to hold the temps.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  3. tom c

tom c Smoking Fanatic

Wal mart has a cheap remote thermometer that will work for now and a handheld almost instant read. The main problem with the cheap remote thermometer is that the hightest alarm setting is 175. So from 175 to your finale temp it beeps at you, no problem for me because I can't hear it but it bothers the heck out of the wife. lol  

4. Lol...I hate that!

...and the 'instant read' takes about 45 seconds...though it feels like hours!

5. adiochiro3

adiochiro3 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nothin to be nervous about; you're on track.  Looking forward to the final result!!!  [​IMG] Bmudd's advice is right on the money -- follow that & you're golden!

6. Ok, so I just got back from my football game that I had to coach in.  The butts have been on for 9 hours.  They smell terrific and look amazing.  I had a $9 Brinkman thermometer and a cheap old school one.  The Brinkman melted and no longer works.  The old school one is reading 150.  The mixture of the apple and cherry chips smells great.  The butt that I marinaded is starting to bark up.  Here is a view.  Off to bed for a few hours then back up to spray it. 

[​IMG]

jc1971 likes this.
  7. tom c

tom c Smoking Fanatic

Are both butts at the same temp?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  8. probably not, the smaller one looks to be cooking faster, and it is the one without a temp gauge.  Her is the 3 a.m. look.  They smell terrific.  Just put 5 pounds of sausage on as well.  Looking to wrap everything up around 6 a.m.

[​IMG]

9. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

They look great so far!

Are they done yet?

10. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looking  good looking good .you are right the smell got all the way here

11. Everything lookin good so far.

Can't wait to eat now. lol

Happy Smokin

Mike

12. smokinal

I hope you took photo's, we are all waiting for the finale!

13. jc1947

jc1947 Smoking Fanatic

[​IMG] A beer or 4 goes good with the wait.

JC1947

14. [​IMG]   Waiting patiently for the final QView!!!  Looks awesome so far.  My first butt will go on tomorrow morning!!! 

15. ugaboz

ugaboz Smoking Fanatic

nice

16. is it ok to leave the thermometer in the smoker?

i have my first but on now been in my bradley 4 rack digital since 630 am it is 6 pnds using the rub and sauce from here.

it is a metal one with the glass cover from gfs

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  17. smokinal

[​IMG]    Glad to have you with us!

If it's a regular oven thermometer, yes you can leave it in.

Does it look like this?

If it does it's fine.

18. no looks like this[​IMG]

19. it is a meat probe type with the glass cover

the kind cooks use in a reasturant

20. smokinal

It sounds OK. Do you have a photo of it?