Just some meatballs...w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

frijole smoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Monument, CO - Norton, KS
Smoked some meatballs today.  They turned out pretty good, so I thought I'd share.

Started with this recipe from here.

ATKINS MEATLOAF 
2 pounds ground beef 
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded 
1/3 cup low carb ketchup 
2 eggs 
2 cloves garlic, minced 
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 
1 tablespoon chili powder 
1 teaspoon dried cilantro, or 2 tablespoons fresh 
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste 
1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste

I'm low carbing it, so that's what I was looking for.  I wasn't sure about not having bread crumbs, oatmeal, crackers...or some other kind of "binder".  The way they turned out...not an issue at all.

I was going to add roasted pueblo chiles instead of the chili powder...but my 5 year old requested non spicy, so I obliged.  I also added a half a package of bacon cut into bits and mixed in.  I also doubled the recipe with 2 lbs of 73/27 beef and 2 lbs of ground pork.

Raw materials...

Get your hands dirty...mix it up...make balls...pretty simple...  My balls were golf ball size or a little bigger.  Doing it again, I will probably make them a little smaller, although the larger size was nice for dinner.

And into the smoker...

Progressing...

And finished.  It was cold and windy so the smoker was only able to make 230-240 or so.  Also, my pans were edge to edge, so I believe the bottom rack was holding a lot of the heat  I finished them in the oven at 300 for a few minutes to get a little crust and get to an IT of 170.

They were very juicy.  Having the fattier beef mix and bacon made for plenty of fat to help with the moisture.

Can't wait to eat on these all week!

Reactions: crazymoon
Good job, those look great  wish I had one or six

Gary

Boy...they were good!  They only lasted a couple of days.  I didn't get any pictures, but they were fantastic re-heated and smothered with BBQ sauce and the roasted pueblo chilies I was originally going to put into the mix.  So glad I didn't...the flavor profile of the chilies and the BBQ sauce is fantastic!!!!

I smoked them with cherry wood.

I'm kind of eager to make a meatloaf with the same recipe.

Jeff

Boy...they were good!  They only lasted a couple of days.  I didn't get any pictures, but they were fantastic re-heated and smothered with BBQ sauce and the roasted pueblo chilies I was originally going to put into the mix.  So glad I didn't...the flavor profile of the chilies and the BBQ sauce is fantastic!!!!

I smoked them with cherry wood.

I'm kind of eager to make a meatloaf with the same recipe.

Jeff
I'll have to smoke a couple of one pound mini meatloaves with this recipe.

-Kurt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky