• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

just made my 1st ever batch of sausage and had some questions on smoking

jam030303

Joined Jan 12, 2014
The sausage I made does not have any cure in it, but I have decided I want to try to smoke some of it.  I am new to smoking and sausage making and have read a few threads on it and it sounds like I have to hot smoke my sausage to be safe.  What temperatures should I smoke my sausage at and for how long?  I have an electric masterbuilt smoker that uses woodchips and stuffed my sausage into hog casings and they are still connected.  Should I hang my sausage or leave it on the grates?  Also how much wood chips should I add during the smoking process and at what times should I add the woodchips.  Thanks. 

junkcollector

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 14, 2012
personally i got a masterbuilt30 size. i set temp at 225 when i do mine. mines got the pull out round tube on the bottom of the side for a chip tray. i toss in a handfull of  chips ((usually fill up the chip holdng spot)). I have to add chips every 20-30 minutes depending on wind. after the 2nd loading of  chips, i insert my thermometer into a link to monitor temp. i'm a lazy dog, have always just laid the links on the rack. i don't add smoke till the casings are dry ((if they were wet to begin with)) remember the 40 to 140 in 4 since it doesnt have cure in it.

i take mine to 160 n let it coast on to 165, but i use CHICKEN for 95% of what i do. 

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013
.I posted the wrong link and now can't find what I wanted..... Long day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.