• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Just got a used Okla Joe Highland

jaminator

Joined Jul 5, 2016
Got this for 100 bucks.  Is there anything i should do to "tune up" this thing?  Want to use it this weekend to burn some meat.  I realize its not real pretty but i am not really concerned about appearance.  I guess i could brillo the outside.   Someone told me to paint it but that doesnt sound like it would last once it heated up. 

Do these things usually come with a grate in the firebox?

Temp guage is fogged.   WOuld you guys buyt the stock replacement or go with some aftermarket unit?

hardcookin

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Is that a Highland or a Longhorn?
Any rate for 100 dollars you done good Thumbs Up
I used a grate in my firebox which was approximately 3" off the bottom.
I would clean it up, season it, and smoke with it as is and see how it performs.

There are mods that some people do. But a good thing to do... is do a search on fire management. Fire management takes a slight learning curve.

I no longer have that smoker so I can't help you with pictures.
At one time Walmart carried replacement gauges.

Last edited:

woodyussluce

Joined Jun 27, 2017
It looks like you got the older model with 1 piece FB which is supposed to be better from what I have read. Enjoy using it !

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.