Just Got a Smoker For My Birthday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ticktock01

Original poster
Nov 30, 2013
Hi,

I'm Terry.  

I live in New Jersey and I am a complete novice when it comes to smoking meats.  My son bought me a new Masterbuilt 30" Electric Smoker for my birthday.  I assembled it this afternoon and it is currently out in the backyard completing the seasoning process.

I have a turkey breast, brisket and some spare ribs in the freezer that I can't wait to smoke.

I'm guessing that the turkey breast would probably be the best cut to do first.

From reading some your posts, it looks like it is best not to use a rub on a turkey breast, so I will follow some of the suggestions posted regarding brineing.

I will try not to ask too many dumb questions.

Terry
welcome1.gif

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

I pretty much always brine the rub then inject my turkeys.

Happy smoken.

David

Glad you joined us ticktock01, congrats on the new MES and :welcome1: from North Dakota!
I'm sure you will be fine doing turkey breasts first but one of the best meats to try first is a pork butt for pulled pork as it is very forgiving, almost a no fail and also because of the greasy seasoning it will add to seasoning your smoker even better... not too mention pulled pork is great to have on hand for sandwiches, ABT filling, pizza topping, etc. so much you can do with it!

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new smoker! No such thing as a dumb question. The search bar is full of threads that are very helpful in most situations.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything  ........  
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky