July 4th Smoke Plans...times, etc??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ghostred7

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
We're aiming for a July 4th cul-de-sac party, serving probably ~3p(ish).....wanna try a packer brisket (if it'll fit in my grill/smoker).  What time do you think I should start this thing off?  Never done a packer....is it still 1.5hrs @ 225* ?

Thx in advance..

Remember though that the 1.5 hrs per pound is only a guideline.  We don't go by time but by temperature and with a packer you can almost certainly count on having a stall.

Remember also that it is not necessary or recommended to insert your thermometer probe until you pass the 40º - 140º 4hr danger zone.

Remember though that the 1.5 hrs per pound is only a guideline.  We don't go by time but by temperature and with a packer you can almost certainly count on having a stall.

Remember also that it is not necessary or recommended to insert your thermometer probe until you pass the 40º - 140º 4hr danger zone.

Thanks for adding that Paul.

Also since its a guideline I always add 2hrs to that guideline total. If it finishes early then you can foil it and into the cooler to rest for a few hours. Good luck.

Like Brian says if it gets done early they will stay hot for 6+ hours in a cooler wrapped in towels. That being said I always figure 2 hours per pound which includes the rest time.

I would go for the 2 hr per lb also.

Even add 2-3 more hrs for rest time.

I have gotten behind several times by using the 1½ - 2 hr guideline.

Even if you think your way ahead of schedule, time will go by fast when you hit the stall 
head-wall.gif

goodluck.gif
 and remember the Qview

Don't wanna poke/probe your meat before the danger zone due to the bacterial on the surface having a chance of being pushed into the interior.  If you KNOW you're going to get through the danger zone within time, it could be ok, I guess.  I know it's not gonna be done in 4hrs, so after the 4th hour, is when I'll probe for the first time.

All that being said....my brisket smoke has been vetoed and I'm now doing smoked buffalo wings and some direct-grilled chicken breasts.

The brisket will have to wait for another day :(

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky