Judgement day for my briskets!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ralph b

Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Palmetto Bay, FL
Ok ya'll today is the day.  Started last night with the prep and placed on the smoker this morning @ 6.  Here are some pics of my step by step up to now.  Enjoy!

The 2 briskets coming in at a total weight of 11.5 lbs

All trimmed up and ready for the rub!

All rubbed down and wrapped, ready for bed in fridge.  I used Billbo's world famous dry rub in the recipes forum.  I'll upload more as the day goes.

just checked the 4.5 lb piece after 5 hours and IT was only 120!  We'll see....luckily I still have plenty of time before guests arrive!

I see brisket is no longer considered to be so much of a "lesser" cut where you live, either. 4 bucks/lb and up for packers here....man, that's just wrong....but, times are changing.

popcorn.gif

Eric

I hear ya Eric....definitely not a cheap piece of meat around here but what can we do.  They won't let me keep livestock in my backyard so I gotta pay!

I hear ya Eric....definitely not a cheap piece of meat around here but what can we do.  They won't let me keep livestock in my backyard so I gotta pay!

We have livestock, but the wife won't let me butcher them. They are her pets.......we tell her they went to a good home when we take them to the auction house.....:biggrin:

Hahaha jarjar, that's what my dad would tell me about our crazy dogs!  Wish I could tell my wife that about our mutt now!  On a lighter note....just took the briskets out after 8 hours in the smoker, they were each at 

IT 165-168, foiled them and waiting now for them to hit that melt in your mouth tenderness.  Sorry I didn't take a pic at that point, I'll have one of the finished product.

Here it is the finished product!  Still was not fully satisfied with the juiciness and tenderness.  Flavor was on point but still needs work!  Total cook time of 10 hours and sat in cooler wrapped in towels for about one hour.  It did not have that melt in your mouth tenderness, don't know if it sat too lond in smoker or cooler.  It felt tender and thermometer slid in and out easily after it reached the 190 mark when I took it out.  It only sat in cooler for about an hour but I think that's what might of overcooked it.  Either way I'm back to the drawing board...the good thing is it was still edible and everyone had a good time!

Should be pretty tender for slicing @ 190*. 1 hour rest is a bit short, though. I try to rest for 3-4 hours.

Maybe go to 195* on the next round...possibly slightly lower chamber temp...rest longer. Some smokers act differently than others (chamber humidy and thermal convective efficiency), so dialing in on what you like best can take some trial and error.

Hang in there...you'll find that sweet spot. Brisket isn't the easiest cut of meat to smoke, but ranks high on the rewards factor when you get it the way you like it.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky