JOWL BACON BURNT ENDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Local place had a sale on jowl bacon so I grabbed about 4 lbs

Cut the skin off and cubed up
0823201257.jpg
0823201302.jpg
0823201306.jpg
0823201344a.jpg

They got tossed in brown sugar and some rub and then placed in a wire rack
0823201654.jpg

Went on the UDS at 250° until they rendered down and became very soft and squishy. Takes a lot longer with the jowls then bacon. These were on just under 4 hrs.

Here is a pick about half way through the cook.
0823202057.jpg

When they come off I put them in a foil pan and tossed them in a mix of tiger sauce and raspberry jamb . back on to the smoker for another 30 min to set the glaze.
0823202231.jpg

Here is a few of the tasty treats I had for myself
0823202320b.jpg

Super soft nuggets of deliciousness!

Thanks for taking a look!

Looks delicious as heck! How did you like them compared to pork belly burnt ends? And what is tiger sauce?

Looks delicious as heck! How did you like them compared to pork belly burnt ends? And what is tiger sauce?
They are good. A little more firm than belly. And way more rich from all the fat or type of fat I guess. They dont render as easily. I like belly better but these are great and I dont have to buy a huge belly when I only want to make a little bit. The tiger sauce is awesome. Its a little sweet with heat. Kind of like a sweet chilli sauce/ hot sauce mix. I love it on wings and topping mac and cheese!
Screenshot_20200826-162147~2.png

They are good. A little more firm than belly. And way more rich from all the fat or type of fat I guess. They dont render as easily. I like belly better but these are great and I dont have to buy a huge belly when I only want to make a little bit. The tiger sauce is awesome. Its a little sweet with heat. Kind of like a sweet chilli sauce/ hot sauce mix. I love it on wings and topping mac and cheese!View attachment 460328
Thanks I've seen that at the store. Gonna give it a try

Reactions: Sowsage
Thanks! They turned out really good! I really liked the tiger sauce/ raspberry mix. Might have to try that mix on something else too.
sounds awesome. I've got some raspberry chipotle sauce that is good to mix up with some stuff. I used it on some armadillo eggs, but nay have to play with some belly next!

Reactions: Sowsage
Lardons... pig belly fat.. not on my to do list

Fat is Fat Steve H Steve H 🤮... jowl or belly... and I did not compare to bacon because bacon has been cured

Last edited:
Nice piece of work Travis, love the raspberry/ tiger sauce combo, big Like! A lot of folks overlook jowl bacon because they just don't know any better. If it's cured and smoked right it's every bit as good as belly bacon. RAY

Man those look good Travis, If they sold Jowls up here I'd have to try some.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Good looking BEs you got going on there Travis, yum! Never used smoked jowls like that, nice.

It just occurred to me that like skin on belly I could turn the skin on the jowls to chicharrone... Oh hell yeah, it's on!
I might join at do that this weekend.

I like Tiger sauce too, good stuff.
I wouldn't have thought it'd mix good with fruit, but I guess it's like my mixing SBR and Bulldog sauce, it worked out fantastically.

See here, the sharing here is a never-ending source of inspiration.

Reactions: bacon_crazy510
Good looking BEs you got going on there Travis, yum! Never used smoked jowls like that, nice.

It just occurred to me that like skin on belly I could turn the skin on the jowls to chicharrone... Oh hell yeah, it's on!
I might join at do that this weekend.

I like Tiger sauce too, good stuff.
I wouldn't have thought it'd mix good with fruit, but I guess it's like my mixing SBR and Bulldog sauce, it worked out fantastically.

See here, the sharing here is a never-ending source of inspiration.
What the heck is bulldog sauce?

Looks fantastic! I may try this as I have a smoked jowl in the freezer.
Thanks jcam! Give it a shot! Ive done this a few times now. Local place puts them out on sale a couple times a year and thats when I buy them up.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky