Joining from Cali

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnsope

Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Hello Everyone,

Patrick from California joining. Just purchased the 22".5' WSM last week and just completed my first smoke. Never had a smoker, but did my homework and this seemed to be a good start. Smoked some wings and a turkey. I think I may have over cooked the Turkey. Guess next purchase is a thermometer. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the information!!

Hello johnsope and welcome to the fun.  I don't yet own a therm but most members say the maverick et-732is the bees knees. Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   ........
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

Hello Patrick...Welcome to the group!  Congrats on the new WSM...those are real nice rigs!  You'll find there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.  A good thermometer/meat probe is must-have.  Many of us here use a Maverick remote digital thermometer that monitors both the temp of your smoke chamber and the internal temp of your meat.  Here's a link where you can check it out:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MAVET-732

Red

Thanks for all the replies. This is the right place for a beginner.

Patrick,

Welcome to another Cali smoker in the house.

Like some of the previous posts I have the Maverick dual remote thermometer which is really handy to keep track of the temps in the chamber.  I also have a small digital pocket thermometer from the Thermapen folks that I use to quickly check other parts of the meat in the smoker or if I have something on the grill.  

Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky