Jim Minion's Standing Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bwsmith_2000

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
Today, I used Jim Minion's standing rib roast recipe ... see recipe section. I used a 4.6 lb. roast and marianated it over night. Then today, I heated the GOSM to 325* and smoked it with hickory wood. I am now an official HERO with my family. I explained that I got the recipe on the SMF but they still give me the credit. (Thanks Jim.) I smoked the roast until an internal temp of 135* (it took about three hours with windy rainy weather ..... 64*). It continued to warm to about 140* when I cut into it. I'll tell you what, just add a littly horse radish, salad and some steamed asparagus or what have you (garlic mashed potatoes wouldn't be bad either) and you'll have a fine meal..... don't forget the rolls.
If you're looking for a little something different, give this one a try. Good one!! And by the way, I smoked this one with the bone side down. Any thoughts on bone side up??

See I never eat any thing other than the meat cause there is no room in the belly for things like vegetables when eating meat.

Sounds like you get a gold star for great cooking nice job

I went to Wal-mart for a brisket and came home with a brisket and a 12 lb. prime rib roast that had been marked down to $4.12 a lb. I had one at Christmas from there and it turned out awesome in the oven. Now that I have my smoker fixed (bad regulator/control valve), we want to try the rib roast. I could seem to locate the recipe however. Where is it located again?

Thanks, Dick

Dick,
Sorry but I couldn't find it in the recipies as I had said but I did have it in "My Docs." I've pasted it below.

Smoked Standing Rib Roast ….. Jim Minion

Prime Rib or Standing rib roast
1 (5 to 6) pound prime rib
1/2 cup coarsely cracked pepper
1/2 tsp ground cardamom seeds
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup vinegar

Trim as needed, combine pepper and cardamom and rub into the beef. Place in a shallow dish. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over beef. Place in refrigerator for 12 hours or more, rotating every few hours. Remove from marinade and smoke.

Pit temp of 225º to 250º will give you an even finish through out the roast

Pit temp of 325º + will give you a crusted exterior with rare center product.

I can't belive you got a prime rib roast for only $4.12/lb! We had one for Xmas dinner and it was $8.25/lb.

The really sad part is my brother in-law who brought it only eats meat VERY well done. The poor thing tasted more like dried out rump roast. Thankfully there was about a gallon of gravy.

Debi

At Christmas, I pruchased the same type of roast from Wal-mart for $5.98 a lb. (it does have the bone in it). Last year I had paid $7.98 and the one from Wal-mart was better. The latest one is in the smoker as I type this along with a brisket. First time to do both. I sure hope they turn out. After 4 hours the sure do look good. The prime rib is up to 110 degrees.

I just made my first trip up to the Super Wally World I sure hope the meat is as good as the prices!

I am probably just weird but my favorite steak beef is either chuck or london broil. Prime rib just never did it for me. I like my fat kind of marbled through out not on the out side were I can see it.

Debi

For Florida Bill

Hi Bill!

My two cents is that if smoking/roasting prime rib with Bone-in the bones act as a natural roasting rack actually helping the meat to stay out of any juices or fat that may accumulate.

So its Bones down for me! :)

ranger72

OTBS # 14

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky