Jerky without cure question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

isellstuff

Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
I made some jerky from pork loin on Saturday 11/9. I did not have cure handy or in any nearby stores. How long will the jerky keep before it goes bad? I have been keeping it in an airtight bag but not refrigerated. I have bought cure so going forward i wont have to worry. Thanks.

I have gone a couple of weeks with no "cure" jerky...but my marinade was a salty marinade (Kikkomon Soy Sauce - main ingredient).

Also - if your jerky is flexible/higher moisture, the fresh time is much shorter than crispy/dry for no-cure jerky.

I have gone a couple of weeks with no "cure" jerky...but my marinade was a salty marinade (Kikkomon Soy Sauce - main ingredient).

Also - if your jerky is flexible/higher moisture, the fresh time is much shorter than crispy/dry for no-cure jerky.

My ingredients were :

Kikkomon Soy Sauce
Worcestershire sauce
garlic powder
onion powder
pepper

Throw a TBS of Tenderquick in with your marinate? That might help hold it a while. 3 weeks is about as long as I will keep jerky if it doesn't get eaten and I keep it in the fridge.

Last edited:
You may want to give Owen's BBQ a try. It is now my go-to jerky flavoring provider and they provide a pack of cure (for up to 5 pounds of meat) with every flavor packet (also for up to 5 pounds of meat). Super easy to mix/make

My faves are: Original, Cracked Black Pepper & Garlic, Hickory, and Mesquite

I would also store all you have in the refer. Room temp is not advisable with or without cure - I have been told - and not wanting to prove.

It is recommended that ALL Homemade Jerky be Refrigerated. Without Water Activity test equipment, you can only Guess it's dry enough to be stored Safely at room temp...JJ

I can see 2 problems with storing at room temp...
Without nitrite, cure#1, any botulism bacteria the meat picked up will still be active....
Storing in an air tight bag, any "regular" bacteria can use up all the oxygen in the bag leaving a depleted oxygen atmosphere for the botulism bacteria to flourish...

Conditions for Germination of Spores in Food. Certain environmental conditions make it easier for spores to germinate and produce the botulinum toxin. These conditions include:
• Absence of oxygen, such as a covered storage pot, lidded jar, or other covered container, or a covering substance. For example, covering food with oil or grease (such as for grilled vegetables) can create the anaerobic environment in which spores can more easily germinate.
• A pH environment of 4.6 or higher (a low-acid environment). Note that a low pH (an acidic environment) does not destroy or inactivate toxins that have already been produced.
• A salt level lower than 7%. However, a high salt level may not prevent the bacterium from germinating in whole, salted foods, such as whole, uneviscerated, salted fish. Refer to the outbreak notes for salted fish.
• A sugar content lower than 50%.
• Warm temperatures, between 40 F and 120 F (4 C to 49 C), such as room temperature.
• A high moisture content.
• A lack of competing bacterial flora.
Nitrates, ascorbates, alcohol, refrigeration, and freezing can prevent Clostridium spores from germinating and producing toxins. However, nitrates, ascorbates, etc. do not destroy the toxins once the toxins have been produced.
Home-canned jams and jellies, because of their high sugar content, do not usually provide an environment in which the spores germinate. However, home-canned vegetables and meats do not usually have a high sugar content, and can become contaminated during the canning process.

Well this is a good learning experience for me. Thanks for the all the help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky