1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Jerky with Dales

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by sandyut, Apr 28, 2019.

1. sandyut

sandyut Meat Mopper

I have been making jerky for years. Used the oven for a long time before I got a smoker. never owned a dehydrator. Most recipes ended up tasting pretty similar. (IMO). I read about using Dales to marinate the jerky and thought well thats just simple if it works.

It worked pretty darn good! really like the taste - I added a tsp of garlic pow, onion pow, black pepper, and red pepper to one cup Dales with about 1.5+ LB of eye of the round cut about 1/4" give or take. then smoked it at 200 for 2 hours then kicked it up to 225 till done.
    Best I ever made. pics is about half of the batch. no cure added this time - it wont last long enough to need it.

Made the second half with just Dales - no extra spice - very good as well.

Next try I think i will add some Guinness.

IMG_4948.JPG

2. flatbroke

flatbroke Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

what is dales? looks good

3. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

flatbroke likes this.
  4. sandyut

sandyut Meat Mopper

UPDATE - I used the reduced sodium version and it was a good salt level. regular would be too much salt for me.

5. sandyut

sandyut Meat Mopper

I made another 4lb batch with this recipe:
    • 4 lb ey eof round cut 1/4" think or so.
    • one bottle of dales low sodium (16oz)
    • half can of black lager (consume other half while mixing)
    • 2 tsp red pepper flakes
    • 2 tsp black pepper
    • 2 tsp garlic powder
    • 2 tsp onion powder
    • Marinate overnight
    • smoked 180 for 2 hours and 225 for one hour. then rested a few hours on drying rack. very very good!
    I think the beer thinned the dales just enough to get a better coating...its pretty thick sauce.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  6. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great.
    Has anybody tried Moore's for the jerky marinade?

Warren

7. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

It's basically soy sauce . The regular is really salty . I bought some and use it for Asian stuff . Little bit goes a long way , it's good , but watch the salt .