jerky rods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jts70

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 12, 2007
Mayville, Mi
I was wondering if I could use just plain ole stainles steel or do I need to use food grade. I can get my hands on stainless very easy, and I could just slide them right into the GOSM . If I can use ss should I season first?

Thanks

Jeff

I have an old German friend who hangs his over rebar. Of course that rebar has seen a many smokes in the old smokehouse.

i have use wooden dowels as well, you can also get screens, but stainless is good, my home built smoker had stainless racks on it, dont know if they were food grade when they came from an industrial sample drying oven

When we had the two smokehouses, we used 1/4 in X 1/2 in X 4 ft channel iron to hang the hams and bacon on. For the heavier hams, we would place a 4 foot section of rebar in the channel.

With Stainless Steel having a very smooth surface, there would be nothing for the seasoning to hold on too. it may eventually turn darker but I doubt that you'll ever achive the shiny black that we get inside our smokers or with cast iron.

As always thanks for the help!! Looks like there is some jerky getting done real soon!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky